You are here

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
Previews generation... and Faces #1
Bo Kristensen's picture
by Bo Kristensen
January 14, 2013 - 9:48pm

Hi,

I have happily been using Aperture on my Mac for a few years, and my main JPG library has grown to hold 60K referenced files. I was using Faces in iPhoto when I migrated initially, and Faces is genrally updated. Hence when I add more pics, I immediately identify the “new” faces. Aperture rarely makes suggestions, but it “works”.

These last days I started noticing a very slow upstart, and found out that Aperture was in the midst of “Generating Preview” for about 15K files. I had only just added about 50 files, so I did all of the maintenance things, I repaired permissions, and repaired the database. But, everytime I start up that particular Aperture library, it starts generating previews. And it seems to continue. I.e. when I let it finish, it starts all over again:(

So, looking around I see that perhaps I can just delete all previews, and then rebuild them (may even be able to regain some HD space in the doing), but then what about my Faces??? Will they be affected? I can accept the system taking a few days for the rebuilding of previews, but I do not want to loose all my identified faces.

Can someone please let me know when I can do, WITHOUT loosing my Faces information?

TIA,

Bo

Brian N's picture
by Brian N
March 13, 2013 - 8:19pm

Bo-

Sorry no one responded to you sooner. I hope figured things out, but if you did not, this may help:

“Note: Each time you open Aperture, it checks for out-of-date previews in those projects whose automatic preview maintenance option is turned on and then schedules the previews for regeneration. If you don’t want previews updated automatically, turn off automatic preview maintenance for your projects. For more information, see Controlling Previews with the Library Action Pop-Up Menu.”

http://documentation.apple.com/en/aperture/usermanual/index.html#chapter…

So… It appears that Aperture is supposed to generate previews every time you start it.

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness