You are here

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Previews #1
Jennifer Bull's picture
by Jennifer Bull
June 17, 2012 - 9:20pm

After reading the post all about previews/thumbnails etc I decided that I only really needed previews for my 4/5* photos. To save space I selected all photos and deleted the previews, then in my 'slideshow' smart albums I selected the photos and told it to update previews. All seemed to be working fine.

However, Aperture seems insistant that it wants to generate previews for all photos…despite having “new projects automatically generate photos” turned off. The first time it tried to do this I forgave it as it had just updated to 3.3 so could have been part of that. I deleted the previews again after this, set it all how I wanted it and then did a new vault back up. Once this had finally finished I came back to the computer to see Aperture in the middle of generating previews for all my photos again!

Am I missing something in the settings? Is there a way to stop Aperture generating previews for pictures that do not need them?

Thanks,

Jen

David  Moore's picture
by David Moore
June 17, 2012 - 10:09pm

Hi Jen

This is very much what I have been seeing in my troubles over the last few days. Thanks for verifying it. We should each send a report to Aperture feedback aperturefeedback@group.apple.com Im living with more previews for now.

davidbmoore@mac.com
Twitter= @davidbmoore
Scottsdale AZ

Jennifer Bull's picture
by Jennifer Bull
June 17, 2012 - 11:01pm

Thanks, good to know I’m not going crazy!! I will send a report to Aperture feedback as you suggest and just let Aperture create the previews for now.

David  Moore's picture
by David Moore
June 17, 2012 - 11:57pm

Jen look at the FAQ for deleting Preference and cache files. that may help you. Im still cleaning up alpha chanel masks in my ps files so Ill have to re test this problem again, later.
Cheers

davidbmoore@mac.com
Twitter= @davidbmoore
Scottsdale AZ

Jennifer Bull's picture
by Jennifer Bull
June 18, 2012 - 12:13am

Thanks, will have a look at this.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
June 18, 2012 - 1:51am

Jennifer, DMBoore, hold up… it’s a setting on your end, I’m quite sure.

The setting in the preference is “New projects automatically generate previews”, with emphasis on the NEW part [screenshot]. If you just turned this off, then any projects created before this have preview generation turned on.

The setting is controlled project by project. All the preference is is a toggle for the default state.

To change it on a single project, select the project in the Library list and disable “Maintain previews for project” from the gear menu [screenshot].

To change it for all projects, select the Projects view, and then from the gear menu, turn off “Maintain previews for all projects” [screenshot].

For any project that has this enabled, immediately after deleting the previews, Aperture will start generating them again. Once it’s off, you can delete all previews, and selectively generate the ones you want.

This process is covered in great length in the post “A Comprehensive Look at Thumbnails, Previews, and More in Aperture 3”.

Hope that helps,

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

David  Moore's picture
by David Moore
June 18, 2012 - 3:17am

Thanks Joseph

I will read the Comprehensive thanks for all your work providing it.

I get a constant 200 or so images that are building thumbnails and previews almost every time I open. With all the rebuilds Ive been doing and maybe there was a change in database stuff 3.2.4 n 3.3 my Lib has been a little borked lately. Well I have discovered that the images are from my old enemy Alpha channels in PS. A practice of saving a mask in an alpha channel did me in when first setting up Aperture. I thought I had fixed all of the ones that had bad thumbnails but now they are showing up in this Activity window as needing to me re made. If i open each one and get rid of the alpha channel then that solves it. So Im doing ten a day. Good news Im back to updating a library in 15 mins and not hours Thanks again and cheers

davidbmoore@mac.com
Twitter= @davidbmoore
Scottsdale AZ

Jennifer Bull's picture
by Jennifer Bull
June 18, 2012 - 5:19am

Thanks Joseph, that’s great. I had deleted all the previews and turned off “Maintain for new projects” but I had missed the step of turning it off for current projects. I’ve been reading up on so much of this over the weekend I’d forgotten that step!! Much appreciated! Jen

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?