You are here

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Print Copyright Info from Aperture to Photographs #1
Robert Jackson's picture
by Robert Jackson
March 2, 2010 - 8:17am

New to Aperture 3. Can copyright information be created within Aperture and then applied to photos when printing them - unable to gather this info from anything in manuals consulted

Jennelle Marcereau's picture
by Jennelle Marcereau
April 21, 2010 - 5:03pm

Any recommendations on where to create a watermark if one doesn’t have photoshop? I’ve tried Pages and Preview on my macbook, but haven’t been able to save as a PNG file. I found the watermark plug in for Aperture on apple, but it seems you still need to create the watermark and have it saved somewhere as a PNG.
Thanks! Jennelle

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
April 21, 2010 - 7:15pm

Jennelle,

You could try the GIMP software, which is an open-source image editor. I’ve never used it but for the basic need of making a watermark, I’d imagine it’ll work great. http://www.gimp.org/

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
March 7, 2010 - 1:28pm

Robert,

Sure thing… you can add all kinds of metadata under/above/left/right of the print, and you can even have a watermark added on top of it.

In the Print dialog, click the More Options button. From there look for Image Options, and the last one is Watermark. That watermark needs to be an image file, so if you want it to to say © 2010 then you’ll have to set that up in Photoshop or something similar and create a PNG file (use PNG so you get the transparency).

Let me know if you have any more questions,

@PhotoJoseph

Robert Jackson's picture
by Robert Jackson
March 9, 2010 - 4:17am

Thank you for your reply and the information it contained. Aperture certainly is a powerful program and there is much to learn! I purchased your Aperture 2 e-book and and am about to update to Aperture 3. I am sure that this will answer a great many of the questions one might have. Again thanks for your help and keep up the good work! Regards, rjackson

Rick Silva's picture
by Rick Silva
March 13, 2010 - 11:54am

I see this ,but how do you apply copyright info to a picture that you can see on a picture that , you are not going to print and only post on line in a gallery.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
March 13, 2010 - 4:19pm

Rick,

That’s a different place—that’s in the Export settings.

Go to menu Aperture > Presets > Image Export… and select any preset you want to add a copyright too (personally I duplicate the one I want to use, by selecting the original and clicking the + button to make a new preset), and change the name to include the © symbol (option-g).

You’ll see in the right there’s an option to turn on Watermark. Like with the print dialog, you’ll need to create that watermark in something like Photoshop. The user guide offers tips on sizing it to scale, but the short version is it’s best to create custom ones for each common size you’ll use, and create the watermark as a PNG so it has transparency (like text over transparency). If you look at my blog at www.ConfessionsOfATravelJunkie.com you’ll see lots of examples of this in use.

@PhotoJoseph

Rick Silva's picture
by Rick Silva
March 14, 2010 - 3:01am

Thank you kindly!

Rick

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?