You are here

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Printing gives black instead of pure white #1
Kenny Poulsen's picture
by Kenny Poulsen
November 29, 2011 - 10:21pm

Situation: Lion, Aperture fully updated. Raw-files from Sony A77. Printer Canon Pixma 9000 mk2.
I made some studioshots using white background. When printing from inside Aperture, the areas where the values is 255,255 and 255 flips to black in the print.
If i print to pdf, same things happens, meaning that the white areas gets black.
If i export full size jpg in best quality, open in picture viewer, print to both pdf and printer is as expected meaning white is white.
Big question mark….? Any ideas ?

Kenny Poulsen's picture
by Kenny Poulsen
December 8, 2011 - 3:47am

I have just send an email to you, including link to the project.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
November 30, 2011 - 4:15am

KP,

Wow… that’s about as weird as it gets!!

Have you tried this with photos from another camera to see if it’s isolated to Sony A77 images? Since exporting to JPG is fine, it sounds like a raw decode issue.

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Kenny Poulsen's picture
by Kenny Poulsen
November 30, 2011 - 6:48am

I tried A700-files, no problems found.
Then i tried another A77 file, no problems.
Then i lift the adjustments done in the photo showing problems, and stamp another one, then same problem on both
Then….
I took the bad photo, removed all adjustments, and by hand adjusting everything like the bad photo, no problem seen……now i don’t get it !
Btw, send you some files by email…

Kenny Poulsen's picture
by Kenny Poulsen
November 30, 2011 - 7:24pm

By “took the bad photo” i mean i made a new copy, removed the adjustments…..did all adjustments in this copy, compared to the bad one, printed both in same pdf…..the bad one is still bad, the copy is fine.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
December 1, 2011 - 1:55am

KP,

OK so if I follow… it appears that the specific adjustments applied were causing the problem, and now that you’ve redone the adjustments (likely with slightly different settings), the problem is gone?

So the problem points to a very specific combination of adjustments?

If you still have those adjustments and can still reproduce them, I’d very much like a copy of that. If you could copy that single photo with those adjustments into a new Project, then export that Project as a new Library, and send that to me, that would be helpful. I’ll be sure I can reproduce it here and then send it along to Apple. They love this sort of thing ;-)

@PhotoJoseph

Kenny Poulsen's picture
by Kenny Poulsen
December 1, 2011 - 2:39am

Sure, i will put some together and send it to you.
Funny this peculiar things. Maybe i am overdoing something, but shouldn’t cause such failures.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
December 1, 2011 - 8:14am

KP,

Thanks. And yes, clearly this shouldn’t be happening, no matter how far you push the filters!

@PhotoJoseph

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
January 6, 2012 - 4:15am

Kenny,

Apologies for the delay. I looked at the project you sent me and printed a PDF, and while I’m not seeing the black that you got in printing to PDF [screenshot of file Kenny sent to me], I am seeing green(!!) [screenshot of my print to PDF] but in different areas—which in fact appear to be an exact replica of the blown highlights, when enabling “Highlight Hot & Cold Areas”: [screenshot].

This is very odd indeed.

For anyone else who cares to try to replicate this, the sample Library Kenny sent me can be downloaded here.

@PhotoJoseph

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?