You are here

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Problem Merging Libraries #1
Dudley Warner's picture
by Dudley Warner
August 1, 2012 - 8:49pm

I posted here on this same topic about a year ago, and thought I had a workaround that would work for merging a project on my MBP that I worked on while on vacation and merging it back into my main Aperture library on my iMac. I added all the images taken on vacation into the library I was using on my MBP, and when my vacation was over, I moved just the new images to a new project in that library. I then exported that project as a library, and attempted to merge it with a project in my main library on my iMac. What resulted was that many of the images that resided in the project in my main library were gone. A new project was created, and it seems to have all the existing images as well as the new images I merged. This seems like one of the most basic procedures that one would do to update libraries between 2 machines, but yet there are still problems. Do you have any advice or a better workaround at this point.

Thanks for your help.

Dudley

Dudley Warner
WARNER Photography

BonnieB's picture
by BonnieB
August 5, 2012 - 3:40pm

Still not working… I can get what looks like the Aperture library on the laptop to transfer to the desktop, but actual photos are missing.

Error: The Finder can’t complete the operation because some data in can’t be read or written. (Error code -36)

Having found a similar issue online here:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2396730?start=0&tstart=0

I’ll run Disk Utility>Repair permissions on both computers, and try again. If that doesn’t work will take laptop to Apple Store Genius, unless some geniuses here can offer more suggestions. Thank you in advance. :-)

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
August 14, 2012 - 3:03am

Bonnie,

Great! Glad it got sorted out.

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
August 8, 2012 - 6:48am

Bonnie,

The error code sounds like a drive error. Definitely head into the Apple Store if Disk Utility doesn’t fix things.

You can always test your library on the other Mac after copying and before importing/merging to see if it opens and shows your photos. If it doesn’t, then you know the next step won’t work, either.

The “merge/add” option only comes up if you are importing photos that already exist in the Library, so if you had exported a project, worked on it, and are now bringing it back in. Since you are importing only new photos, then this dialog won’t appear as it does not apply.

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

BonnieB's picture
by BonnieB
August 9, 2012 - 3:06pm

Joseph, thank you for your reply.

The genius at the Apple Store did indeed fix the problem. She ran a super-duper Disk Utility thing to look at everything on the drive and fix and standardize all permissions. She hypothesized that the reason for Error 36 was that I had a non-standard “Pictures” directory; a few years ago I tried to set up “Pictures” folder so that I and my SigO could share an iPhoto library, each access it from our own account. I never got it to work, but I still had weird permissions on it; she thought maybe a recent Aperture update had conflicted with those.

Thank you.
P.S. “If it doesn’t, then you know the next step won’t work, either.” Indeed but… I did try it, hoping against hope that they would somehow show up in the “real” library! Magical Thinking I suppose, or at least Irrationally Optimistic. Well that left me needing a backup from Time Machine so I was aptly punished. ;->

John Waugh's picture
by John Waugh
August 3, 2012 - 8:34am

Try moving the new library into the PROJECTS heading of the target library instead of into a particular project. The library should import as a new project in your library,
then move the images into your target project and delete the empty import project left behind.

John Waugh, Photographic Images • Apple Certified Trainer• Sport Action Lifestyle Photography

Dudley Warner's picture
by Dudley Warner
August 3, 2012 - 11:30am

John -

Thanks, that makes sense.

Dudley

Dudley Warner
WARNER Photography

BonnieB's picture
by BonnieB
August 5, 2012 - 12:28am

I’m having problems with merge too. During the vacation week I put all the photos into their own fresh library file on the laptop, intending to merge them back into the main library on the desktop. First I had problems when copying the .aplibrary file from laptop onto desktop; Error code 36-The Finder can’t complete the operation because some data in “Imports-from-TucsonTrip.aplibrary” can’t be read or written.” However, the file does show up eventually. When I import it, the images (previews and masters) don’t show up in Aperture.

Then I tried “exporting” (even though I don’t need to export do I? if I intended to merge the temporary library in the first place?) two folders into their own little libraries. Then I have choices “Consolidate masters into exported library? Include Previews in exported library?”

Also on the desktop side, when I import these files didn’t it use to say “Merge or Add?” but it’s not saying that now. Just Import>Library/Project –> choose .aplibrary file in via window.

I am getting frustrated and wondering if it is time to go Referenced (90 GB now 10,000 images) BUT that seems like it would just multiply my existing problems not fix them: I wouldn’t know if stuff is missing, and wouldn’t know how to find things if they were missing, and would have to buy an external HD + Time Capsule to keep it tidy. Plus my computer time “calories” probably should be spent on updating to Mountain Lion, not fiddling with reference Aperture libraries.

Specs: Mac OSX 6.8 / Aperture 3.2.4
(I did recently add lots of plugins like FX Borders and Nik software; try to keep both machines identical. Also recently upgraded laptop to new 500 GB hard drive with faster processor. Not that these should make any difference…)

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness