You are here

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
Problems with moving over Aperture-Edited Images into Another Software #1
Angelo's picture
by Angelo
January 14, 2014 - 2:17am

I am a long time user of Aperture (since it came out) and have had this problem for as long as I can remember. When I edit something in Aperture then decide to bring it into NIK Software for additional editing I find that the original image (Aperture unedited image) is brought into NIK and not the Aperture edited image. This is somewhat frustrating since I want to see the aperture-edited photo to determine how much more editing I need to give it in NIK. Is there a setting in Aperture I need to set or is it something I am doing wrong. If I remember correctly, tried making a copy of an Aperture edited image and sent it to NIK, but still the unedited photo comes over.

Gary with a big Mac's picture
by Gary with a big Mac
January 14, 2014 - 2:54am

Hi There,

Im not having this problem,

My original edited version, remains

When I use Nik a new tiff file is created but still retains the edits from the original version, the only difference being the new “extra” file is a tiff

Is your software up to date?

I have a photographic memory but never got it developed

Angelo's picture
by Angelo
January 14, 2014 - 6:54pm

Hi Gary, thanks much for your help. Yes, Aperture and NIK are all up to date.

This has been on going for several years. A bit frustrating but I rationalized that it was normal and what I should do is first process with NIK then come back to Aperture and edit.  But a little voice kept saying, this is not right!

I even tried unstacking the images, go into NIK with it, but still the unedited copy comes over to NIK. GRRRRRRR :(

Now joining ApertureExpert I figured there’d be someone that could help me correct this problem.

Walter Rowe's picture
by Walter Rowe
January 14, 2014 - 8:12pm

This sounds like a Preferences issue. What does your Preferences > Export window say for external editor configuration?

Angelo's picture
by Angelo
January 14, 2014 - 9:02pm

Hi Walter,  I have Photoshop as my external Editor listed.

I am not at home at the moment but what I’ll do is go into Preferences>Export and check all my settings.  I’ll let you know this evening…

Thanks,

Angelo's picture
by Angelo
January 15, 2014 - 6:16am

Preferences are as follows:

External Photo Editor:  Adobe Photoshop CS5.1.app

Editor File: TIFF (16 bit)

Editor File Format: Apple RGB

600 DPI

John Waugh's picture
by John Waugh
January 17, 2014 - 3:58pm

Try creating a duplicate version of your edited image before going to PS.
I have seen this when you do not create a new version on edit.

John Waugh, Photographic Images • Apple Certified Trainer• Sport Action Lifestyle Photography

Angelo's picture
by Angelo
January 18, 2014 - 7:03am

Hi John,

I have Aperture set to create a duplicate upon edit. I’ve also created a duplicate version of the edited file in Aperture and when I bring it into PS or NIK the original unedited photo still comes over. But, I will try again tomorrow and reconfirm this.

Thanks to everyone that is trying to help with this problem. Just to be certain, the latest version of Aperture is 3.5.1, right?

Walter Rowe's picture
by Walter Rowe
January 18, 2014 - 2:54pm

Yes, 3.5.1

Traveller858's picture
by Traveller858
January 18, 2014 - 6:44pm

I know this may seem a silly - but here goes.

Is your NIK software added as a plugin? Therefore accessed from the “photos drop down” menu within Aperture. Selecting “edit with plugin” and just click on one.

To edit within Photoshop that is a separately listed item within photos drop down.

Perhaps worth checking how things are loaded.

Regards, Barry

Angelo's picture
by Angelo
January 20, 2014 - 10:50pm

Hi Barry,

Yes, most times I access NIK via Aperture plug-in. It’s also accessible in PS as a plug-in.

Let me try that and see if the original Aperture edited image comes up. If that’s the case then I’d have to take the extra step to go into PS and do the work through there.

I’ll let you know this evening.  And thanks for your help.

Angelo's picture
by Angelo
January 21, 2014 - 6:06am

The problem has disappeared. 

While editing in Aperture the program shut down on me (first time that has happened). I received an error message that it was advisable to run “Repair Database”. I did so then edited a photo and brought it over to NIK. That seemed to have corrected the problem. I ran NIK through PS and the edited version in Aperture did come over for editing in NIK.

Thank you all for your help.

Angelo's picture
by Angelo
January 25, 2014 - 6:40am

Gentlemen:

I was mistaken. The problem still persists. 

Repairing the database did not correct it so I’m back to square one. I’m wondering if anyone at Aperture reads these forums and can tell me what is needed to correct the problem.  What should I be doing to correct this problem?

Thanks,

Walter Rowe's picture
by Walter Rowe
January 25, 2014 - 8:27pm

If you haven’t already done so, submit a bug report to Apple. Offer to provide them a library and images that this happens with. They are much better able to reproduce and fix problems when they have sources they can put their fingers on to dissect.

Angelo's picture
by Angelo
January 26, 2014 - 5:48pm

Thanks Walter,

I will definitely go to Aperture and ask for their help directly.  I’ll report back when and if I get a solution to my problem.

Angelo's picture
by Angelo
March 14, 2014 - 5:43am

Would you believe I sent the problem to Aperture late January and still no answer. I guess

they either don’t have anyone to answer emails or they don’t care. Interesting….

Stuart Burrill's picture
by Stuart Burrill
March 14, 2014 - 6:13pm

This is the way Aperture works, although they don’t make it very clear.

If you have sent an image outside of Aperture and it comes back in as a tiff file, any further changes you then make to that tiff file will not be present when you export or edit thereafter.  You can try  it … send a photo to Photoshop; then when it comes back convert that photo to black & white or crop it in Aperture.  When you export or edit that photo again, you will not see those edits.

The way around this (as John Waugh stated), is to duplicate the version and then send the new duplicated image out for export or edit.  Only that way will the Aperture edits still be present.  It’s only ever an issue when you’ve applied adjustments to an image you’ve already sent external.

If you have the preference set to create new version on edits, then you won’t run into this.  Hope this helps.  

Angelo's picture
by Angelo
March 15, 2014 - 5:27am

Thanks Stuart,

99.9% of my imports to Aperture come from CF cards imported directly into Aperture. They come in to Aperture as RAW files. I then make edits in Aperture (Aperture makes a backup copy of the edited file). When exporting to PS, NIK or any other software it goes as a TIFF file. Before I send to PS or NIK, etc., I make sure I highlight the Aperture edited file. But when it moves over to the plug-in all edits are gone (The original unedited is what comes over).

I have it on “Create new versions when making adjustments” in the Preferences>Advance section.  

I don’t understand why this is happening.

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?