You are here

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
RAW Sharpening on Import? #1
Darryn Morgan's picture
by Darryn Morgan
December 1, 2013 - 3:19am

Is there any benefit in sharpening on import using the RAW Fine Tuning tool?   The Aperture Manual almost dissuades you from doing so…

Note: The effect of sharpening an image or group of images using the RAW Fine Tuning adjustment is very subtle. More sharpening effects can be obtained using the Edge Sharpen adjustment. For more information about the Edge Sharpen adjustment, see Working with the Edge Sharpen Controls on page 385. 

I’m interested to read other users workflow for sharpening their RAW images in Aperture?

Cheers

Darryn

Walter Rowe's picture
by Walter Rowe
December 1, 2013 - 1:58pm

Sharpening is typically done at three different steps .. import, processing and output. Import sharpening is typically the least intensive as you want to fine tune your sharpening in selected areas during the processing stage and then customize your output sharpening based on size and target medium. Import sharpening applies across the entire image. That is why more care to be gentle should be taken at that step. You don’t want to sharpen things and introduce noise where you don’t want it (like large open areas such as skies, blurred backgrounds, etc).

Andrew Mumford's picture
by Andrew Mumford
December 1, 2013 - 10:03pm

I disagree with the manual entirely - I have my own preset set for my most common combo of camera lens and it’s set as my camera default.

That being said - you have to set it up carefully on a variety of images, make sure you scrutinize sharp edges at 100% & 200% to avoid over sharpening and expect your mileage to vary with everyone else’s - the Apple default’s may be fine, they may not - no one size fit’s all options here.

---
Andrew Mumford

Walter Rowe's picture
by Walter Rowe
December 3, 2013 - 4:14pm

I don’t think the manual is dissuading you from doing so. I think it is encouraging you to not rely solely on import sharpening. I think the manual is following the same philosophy that I stated above: sharpen on import, selectively sharpen during processing, sharpen on export based on target medium and size of source and target.

Gary with a big Mac's picture
by Gary with a big Mac
December 3, 2013 - 11:48pm

Gary on the side here,

If I have a Nikon, and have an in camera sharpening set,

Does that get transferred to Aperture?

The reason I ask is that my in camera picture controls don’t

….Gary

I have a photographic memory but never got it developed

Walter Rowe's picture
by Walter Rowe
December 4, 2013 - 3:52am

That only applies to JPG files created in the camera and raw files processed by Nikon’s NX2 software. Aperture doesn’t use them for raw files.

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness