You are here

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Rebuilding library under 3.4 takes forever. #1
mrkgoo's picture
by mrkgoo
October 15, 2012 - 7:46am

I didn't have this issue under earlier versions, but rebuilding my library (Whig I do every so often to keep things running smoothly - I think it has een been suggested here) takes a long time. Like 10 hours.

Under preppie versions it would take around 20-40 minutes then maybe 40 minutes to update places. Under 3.4, it checks versions as usual but whn t gets to faces, it suddenly takes up all system RAM, and starts chewing up HD swap space (~20GB worth), making the whole computer unuseable during this period.

Afterwards, my 500GB library is 4GB larger.

Does anyone else see this? I assume the library structure is completely different and faces are treated a lot differently. Maybe a consequence of using faces extensively from previous versions?

Maybe I just need a newer computer (using an old non-unoboy MacBook pro with 6GB ram).

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
October 26, 2012 - 3:29am

Mr. Kgoo,

I see no one else has responded. I honestly never checked library size before and after a repair, so I can’t comment on that. Mine does take quite a bit of time (I usually will just let it go overnight) as it’s quite large as well. There have been database structure changes since 3.0 (notably in 3.3) so that may have something to do with it.

Does the library grow every single time you do a repair?

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

mrkgoo's picture
by mrkgoo
October 26, 2012 - 7:56am

Hi, thanks for the response.

To clarify I’m rebuilding the library, not repairing. I do rebuilds relatively routinely as maintenance thing after major library revisions. Never had a problem before regarding that (you may recall I had issues with the database.XML file not updating in previous versions of aperture, and rebuilding used to fix that - repairing, at least at one point, messed up time machine as it would think everything changed).

Anyway, I also meant dice 3.3, not 3.4. And yes, under 3.3 it looked like my library grew a few GB after that rebuild too (judging from my time machine as a guess).

But my main concern is with faces jogging resources durin the rebuild. It just takes forever, like at least half a day. Its not an insurmountable issue, as I don’t rebuild all tha often, I was just curious whther this was a common affliction. Like I said I have a relatively weak machine, and a large library so maybe that contributes.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
October 27, 2012 - 2:25am

Mr. Kgoo,

It’s probably just that Faces has gotten quite large. I don’t use it for that precise reason. I keep trying, ‘cause I really like the idea, but I always end up turning it back off in the end.

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness