You are here

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Recovering from crash: No images in Aperture #1
Jerry Druhan's picture
by Jerry Druhan
July 20, 2012 - 6:23am

I just had the misfortune of a crash where I had to restore my entire system from a Time Machine backup. The problem is that no images are in Aperture. I do have a (mostly) complete backup of raw images. Is there an easy way to get those images back into Aperture? I tried opening from the backup library stored on an external drive, but it doesn't work. The raw files are there, in the Masters folder, then folders by year, month, day. I'm sure I can import folder by folder, but there must be an easier way.

Jerry Druhan's picture
by Jerry Druhan
July 21, 2012 - 6:50am

Copied backed up library back to its original location that Aperture uses, the Pictures folder. Still does not work. I may have to import each file. I suppose that’s a good way to clean house :)

Michael Ball's picture
by Michael Ball
July 20, 2012 - 6:40am

How did you previously backup your Aperture library? Did you use Time Machine, a Vault, or another strategy? Did you have any referenced files?

Let us know a little bit more about how you backed up so we can figure out the easiest method. :)

Jerry Druhan's picture
by Jerry Druhan
July 20, 2012 - 7:50am

I used Time Machine. But I also copied the library and included Masters file to an external drive using Finder, just to make sure I didn’t lose my raw files.

Michael Ball's picture
by Michael Ball
July 20, 2012 - 8:03am

So, in time machine, have you tried manually restoring just the library? See if that copies the whole thing over. Make sure the file sizes seem right when it does. If it still gives you problems, then I’d start coping the second version of your library over.

If Aperture doesn’t like those libraries, it might help to repair and rebuild them as described in the FAQ.

Jerry Druhan's picture
by Jerry Druhan
July 20, 2012 - 11:44am

I’m thinking it likes it in the picture folder. The Aperture library is blank in there. I’ll try copying my backup library to there. Thanks. I’ll let you know what happens. Not sure why Time Machine route didn’t restore it.

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness