You are here

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Referenced Files on NAS – Aperture won’t delete (Permissions?) #1
Oliver Ash's picture
by Oliver Ash
November 14, 2012 - 10:30am

I have Aperture set up to reference my photos on my NAS – the library file is on my MacBook Air. However, when I try to delete photos, I get what I believe to be a permissions error:

“Some referenced original files cannot be moved to the System Trash, and will remain in their current locations:

• You don’t have access to the System Trash on the original files’ volume.

Other original files will be moved to the System Trash as specified.”

As seen here: http://cl.ly/image/472k192b2L2j

Aperture seems to want to move these files to a “System Trash” on the actual FreeNAS, but Aperture doesn’t have write permissions.

Firstly, I can’t give it write permissions because at no point does it ask for me to authenticate. Secondly, I don’t really need it to move to a “System Trash” on the FreeNAS. When I’m deleting photos from the Aperture trash, I want them gone for good!

If anybody has run into this problem before and found a solution, it’d be greatly appreciated. Currently I have to locate photos in Finder to actually delete them from the NAS and from the Aperture library.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
November 14, 2012 - 1:35pm

Oliver,

Sounds like your reasoning is right, and no there’s no way to tell Aperture to immediately delete — it will always (try to) move the images to the System Trash.

How is your NAS formatted? It should be Mac OS X Extended to be fully Aperture compatible. Read this FAQ entry for some more info on using a NAS with Aperture.

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Oliver Ash's picture
by Oliver Ash
November 15, 2012 - 1:10am

Thanks for your reply, Joseph. That’s a bummer.

My NAS is formatted as ZFS (I think). I’m accessing it as an AppleShare (AFP).

Turns out, a few others have had the same problem: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2735205?start=0&tstart=0

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness