You are here

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Referenced Files #1
Sharon Ann's picture
by Sharon Ann
February 28, 2013 - 11:18pm

Simple question, when I reference files, how important is it to set up file folders in the destination hard drive. Will there be a time when I will need to go to a particular file in the referenced hard drive and look up a photo? Or, will I always simply go into Aperture, click on a referenced file and consolidate?

I've been creating folders and trying to organize the hard drive referencing and an wondering if I'm wasting time.

Waiting to hear from you. Thanks, sharon ann Photo management at Franciscan University

Sharon Ann

David  Moore's picture
by David Moore
February 28, 2013 - 11:57pm

Well thats a good question. Ive always store my reference files by image year/month/date. Sometimes I think that maybe I should of done it by Project Name. On the other hand when ever I have needed to locate an image in my referenced HD I just use AP to tell me were it is.

Well there are choices to pick from on how AP stores the files and I think any is as good as the other as long as you don’t choose None. At least none would not be a good choice for many different projects in one folder. Kinda like a shoe box of 4x6 prints. Key thing is to pick a Store File option and then forget about it … AP knows were it is. cheers dbm

davidbmoore@mac.com
Twitter= @davidbmoore
Scottsdale AZ

Walter Rowe's picture
by Walter Rowe
March 1, 2013 - 6:28am

This is one of the reasons I use managed libraries. I let Aperture worry about it inside the Library folder.

Sharon Ann's picture
by Sharon Ann
March 1, 2013 - 10:21pm

Thank you both for your responses. I do use a well-defined managed library. But over the years the quantity of photos has become too large; hence, I am referencing images. Now I am able to view them via my managed files in Aperture. My question is for someone who used REFERENCED filing, for instance, when I reference do I need to create a folder for all portraits? Another for campus buildings? Another for athletics, etc. IS THERE EVER A TIME WHEN I WOULD NEED TO GO INTO REFERENCED FILES TO FIND A PHOTO? I’ve been doing it this way, which takes so much time, but I’m starting to think I’m wasting time. Anyone out there who can give me input. Again thank you so much for your responses. Blessings, sharon ann

Sharon Ann

Butch Miller's picture
by Butch Miller
March 1, 2013 - 10:54pm

If I may jump in …

Since you are doing this for a University and not personal use, your archive needs the foundation you build today to be coherent for those folks who will be using your library in your absence or after you have moved on. The backbone of any archival cataloging system is it must withstand the test of time.

If you do a good job of key wording, rating and labeling your images … the folder/file structure of the referenced images isn’t quite as important … though if there ever comes a time when your institution would want to use an option other than Aperture … having a sensible folder/file structure of the referenced images can go a long way in making such a transition very easy.

I’d highly recommend the “DAM Book” by Peter Krogh … it’s a wonderful resource on explaining how to build a comprehensive Digital Asset Management (DAM) system that can work with almost any software solution including Aperture. You don’t have to follow the author’s plan strictly, you can modify and adjust as needed … but he goes to very great lengths explaining why should do certain things along with the how. I found the book to be an extremely valuable and enlightening resource …

Walter Rowe's picture
by Walter Rowe
March 1, 2013 - 11:59pm

Butch’s recommendation of The DAM Book is excellent. It is the quintessential reference on organization and management of “digital assets”. It doesn’t matter whether you use a referenced or managed Library in Aperture, a Catalog in Lightroom, or MediaPro or other DAM tool, make well thought decisions now to insure your system has a life that exceeds your own time there. Others will eventually inherit it so make sure it is intuitive and that it makes sense for the University.

It does make sense to have your referenced files organized in a meaningful structure. I recommend looking up Scott Bourne’s article on PhotoFocus about migrating his Aperture assets (nearly 500,000) to Lightroom. He used managed Libraries in Aperture. Lightroom is a referenced file cataloging system. Also read his article Get Organized in Lightroom also on PhotoFocus. While these articles are in the context of moving from Aperture to Lightroom, they present some valuable insights into structuring a referenced system even for Aperture.

David  Moore's picture
by David Moore
March 2, 2013 - 12:09am

I too have read the Dam book. Saw the Author in Tuscon and got lots of good knowledge out of it. The book did help me get to sleep a few nights :0

davidbmoore@mac.com
Twitter= @davidbmoore
Scottsdale AZ

Sharon Ann's picture
by Sharon Ann
March 2, 2013 - 3:23am

You all are funny! I’ll check out the book!

Sharon Ann

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness