You are here

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
referenced images? #1
keef's picture
by keef
April 3, 2011 - 4:38am

Hi,

I can no longer find any option to import iphoto images as referenced images when using the iphoto browser.

Is it hidden somewhere or did Apple remove it?

keef

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
April 4, 2011 - 12:40am

Keef,

Can’t comment on what was or wasn’t available there before; I don’t believe I’d ever opened that option.

However when I do now, I don’t see anything at all. I created a new iPhoto library with a single photo in it and I’m not getting anything showing up in Aperture under the browser. So I really can’t help…

Anyone out there using both iPhoto and Aperture that can check on this for Keef?

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

keef's picture
by keef
April 4, 2011 - 1:18am

Hi Joseph,

As most of my images are in my iphoto library I have chosen to selectively import them into Aperture. I was doing this as referenced images so as not to duplicate the files. I am not sure whether it is the recent Aperture update that has removed this option. I would really like to know.
Very strange that you cannot even see the image in your iphoto library!

keef

keef

Thomas Emmerich's picture
by Thomas Emmerich
April 4, 2011 - 10:12am

Keef,

I used that option a while back. Don’t remember how now. But it doesn’t matter. You shouldn’t do it. The structure of the folder hierarchy in iPhoto’s library is rarely static between iPhoto updates. Usually when you update to a new version of iPhoto you’ll see a message the first time you open your library something like “updating library…”. This is usually when the folder structure is changed.

Guess what. When the structure changes, Aperture loses the link to your images. And you can’t get it back because when you try to relocate your images Aperture won’t let you look inside the iPhoto library.

The same problem could happen if you upgrade your hard drive or move your iPhoto library to a different folder.

This happened to me. Don’t do it.

Tom

Thomas

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
April 6, 2011 - 12:08am

Keef, Thomas,

Thomas—thanks for pointing that out. Your point is extremely valid!

Keef—I really recommend you follow what Thomas is saying. And it goes beyond updating versions. Even if that never happened, I can pretty much guarantee that some point down the road you’ll en up in version hell, where you can’t figure out where the lates version of an image is, and you’ll end up with duplicates running amok.

If you’re an iPhoto user and dabbling in Aperture, import some new photos and get use to Aperture, see if you like it, then make the full plunge. Do a complete move to Aperture and don’t look back. If you need a feature in iPhoto that isn’t in Aperture (like greeting cards), you can actually access your Aperture library from within iPhoto to do exactly that. But keep all your organizing and editing in one system.

That’s my advice—and Thomas’s too ;-)

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

keef's picture
by keef
April 6, 2011 - 2:19am

Hi,
Thanks for the replies.
I am reluctant to import my whole iphoto library at this points - I just want to have a selective library in Aperture rather than every image. I will just have to import each folder separately i guess. I just find it strange that this option - to have referenced images-seems to have been removed with no mention. I suppose as you say you can end up with all kinds of complications as programs get updated.

Thanks again,

keef

keef

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?