You are here

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Referencing existing photos onto internal drive, from external HD #1
Steve Hart's picture
by Steve Hart
November 9, 2012 - 4:42am

Earlier last week I posted a question - i used some confusing language, so have reposted the question here in hopes I can get this figured out…

I have created a new library on the external drive. Called External HD Aperature Library. However, when importing these photos, and then finally amalgamating them into one library on my external hard drive, I neglected to reference them. I have confirmed that the originals are not referenced…with a right click on random photos and selecting “locate referenced files” which then results in a “no referenced files” response. As an aside, the new library on the external drive, is now too large for my internal drive (160ish GB).

After reading the aperture expert e-books, I was thrilled to realize that I could have been saving the data heavy files on my external HD, while accessing smaller versions of the photos on my main internal drive.

My question is can I still do this with my existing library, on external HD, that is currently not referenced? Any help would be awesome - just had our first baby boy, and I am desperate to get my photo library sorted out before I start making a mess of this new photos of my 2 day old!

Thanks,

sh

Bob Rockefeller's picture
by Bob Rockefeller
November 9, 2012 - 11:22pm

Are you using a MacBook with an external drive and want to access previews when the external drive is disconnected?

Bob

Bob
----------
Bob Rockefeller
Midway, GA
www.bobrockefeller.com

Steve Hart's picture
by Steve Hart
November 10, 2012 - 12:39am

Bob thanks, I am using my imac with an external drive, but i want to be able to have previews on the main computer for access with things like photoshare, apple tv, etc.

I am new to this, so does this make sense?

sh

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
November 16, 2012 - 2:09am

Steve,

You’re on the right track. Basically what you want is a Referenced library, so that even if the external drive is detached, you can still see your photos (and access smaller version for Apple TV, etc. — this requires them to have Previews, so be sure to read up on that here: “A Comprehensive Look at Thumbnails, Previews, and More in Aperture 3”.)

Select photos that are currently Managed and to make them Referenced, choose Relocate Originals and redirect them to your external drive.

Does that help?

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness