You are here

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Relocating Masters #1
Arnie Berger's picture
by Arnie Berger
March 4, 2011 - 11:20pm

While on a recent trip I created an Aperture library on my MBA and stored the photos on an external drive. When I got home, I imported the library and move the photos to a folder on my hard drive. The merging of the libraries worked great, however when I disconnected my external drive of course all my photos were offline as expected. How do I tell Aperture where to find the masters that I copied over to my library? I tried relocate masters but all the reconnect buttons are greyed out.
Thanks
Arnie

Arnie

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
March 5, 2011 - 3:25am

Arnie,

The relocate command only works if Aperture knows where the master files are, and that’s the problem you’re having now—it doesn’t know where to find them.

The command you need is at File > Locate Referenced Files…. Select your missing images and open this tool. From there you can pick an photo from your library in the top half, then point to the file’s actual location in the bottom half. If you don’t see the bottom half, click the Show Reconnect Options button at the bottom. Once you have a match, the Reconnect All button will light up; click that and it’ll reconnect everything in the same path. [screenshot]

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Arnie Berger's picture
by Arnie Berger
March 5, 2011 - 3:42am

Joseph

As always thanks for your quick response. Instead of relocating masters I meant to say relocate reference files. I tried attaching a screenshot of what I’m running into but I’m sure how The photos are are My Passport drive which is mounted, however I can’t get the files to show up in the top half.
Thanks
Arnie

Arnie

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
March 5, 2011 - 6:13am

Arnie,

You can’t post screenshots here, unfortunately. But what I do is post screenshots using Jing and they do have a free service. Worth signing up for stuff like this :)

Anyway, I’d like to see a screenshot, even if you have to email it to me. I don’t follow what is happening. You said “Relocate Reference” but as far as I can tell, you do actually mean Relocate Masters—the original photo is called a “master” whether it’s Referenced or Managed, and the Locate Referenced Files command is the tool to use when you have broken links. You’re getting the curved-arrow with the red line through it, right? (see this old post on what the icons mean… Badges. Or, “What Are All Those Funny Icons, Anyway?”)

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph

Arnie Berger's picture
by Arnie Berger
March 5, 2011 - 12:08pm

Thanks Joseph in summary I took some photos while on vacation that I stored as reference files on an external hard drive. When I got home I merged the library on the external drive and copied the photos to a folder on my HD. However unless the external drive is mounted Aperture says the photos are offline, How do I point Aperture to the new location?
Thanks
Arnie

Arnie

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
March 5, 2011 - 2:09pm

Arnie,

Aha! Now I see…

The reason you can’t point to the new location is because you’re trying to do it with the hard drive attached, and therefore Aperture sees the files, and doesn’t think anything is wrong.

Disconnect the external hard drive, so that Aperture shows your images as offline—the curved arrow with the red line through it.

NOW when you open the Locate Referenced Files command, it will show the images as offline. Select one of the photos in the top half of the Referenced Files window, and find its match in the folder you copied them to. Click Reconnect All and you should be good to go.

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness