You are here

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Removing Keywords #1
Michael Palumbo's picture
by Michael Palumbo
May 12, 2012 - 9:35am

I occasionally assign a keyword not realizing that all the files are selected. I have never figured how to remove keywords other than going though each file one by one and deleting it. I tried “Batch Change”, but it just shows an empty Keyword box. I'm sure there must be a way.

Thomas Emmerich's picture
by Thomas Emmerich
May 12, 2012 - 10:26am

Michael,

Batch change will work. In the Add Metadata from popup select Keywords and click the Replace radio button. Place a checkmark in the box next to Keywords and you’ll see “clear values” appear if you don’t type a keyword in. If you run this batch it will clear ALL keywords for selected images.

How did I remember this? Not because I’ve ever done this before. I just rewatched Aperture Expert Live Training #007. http://www.apertureexpert.com/livetraining-catalog/ For a measly $2 you can buy this video devoted entirely to keywords. You’ll learn things about keywords you couldn’t have imagined. Highly recommended.

Tom

Thomas

Michael Palumbo's picture
by Michael Palumbo
May 12, 2012 - 12:37pm

You are totally right about that video. I have collected almost all the videos and I actually remember seeing it. Two problems: 1) I forgot how to do it 2) I forgot which video I saw it in. After my birthday last week I think I have earned an official excuse for the senior moments.

Thanks, I’m going there right now.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
May 15, 2012 - 1:40am

haha thanks Thomas for the promo, and Michael — we all have ‘em ;-)

-Joseph

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Philippe's picture
by Philippe
April 17, 2014 - 12:00pm

Any way of removing a specific keyword that has been applied to multiple photos which have all unique keywords otherwise? If not, do I really either have to:

1) Batch clear all keywords from multiple photos after which I need to re-apply unique keywords to each photo?

2) clear the specific keyword that has been applied to each photo, one by one?

edit: to clarify: I forgot to remove the keyword ‘Photo stream’ after importing them from iCloud and tagging them uniquely.

TIA,

Harry

Walter Rowe's picture
by Walter Rowe
April 17, 2014 - 1:36pm

Yes, you can remove an individual keyword from multiple images that have different sets of keywords. Use the “Keyword Control Bar” (Shift-D).

https://documentation.apple.com/en/aperture/usermanual/index.html#chapte…

In the thumbnail view mode, select the thumbnails of the images you want to change. Enter a keyword you want to remove in the Keyword Control Bar keyword field. Then press Shift-Enter to remove the keyword (vs Enter to add the keyword).

Philippe's picture
by Philippe
April 17, 2014 - 1:37pm

That is one heck of a post there Walter; thanks ever so much! Just goes to show that I’m still not proficient in Aperture, even though I use it several times a week. Guess I really ought to read through that manual after all.

BIG thanks, and I love photo MA-DE-WT-0090 on your site.

Cheers,

Harry

Walter Rowe's picture
by Walter Rowe
April 17, 2014 - 1:42pm

Thanks! Lucky happenstance that image. That deer was sick and standing 12 feet off a country road in a wheat field here in central Maryland. He just stood there looking at me. I snapped a dozen images. He then laid down in the wheat. I actually walked into the field and stood over him and took a few more images. I returned in the afternoon and he was gone.

http://www.walterrowe.com/mediagallery/media.php?f=1&s=20111118021705419…

Chris Biele's picture
by Chris Biele
April 23, 2014 - 12:36pm

Great tip Walter. I knew about Shift having the reverse effect on key commands - like Shift+Cmd+A to deselect all, or Shift+Alt+Number to remove a keyword that’s displayed as a keyword button, but didn’t realise the Keyword Control Bar acted this way. Thanks!

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness