You are here

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Reordering larges lists of projects/albums #1
mrkgoo's picture
by mrkgoo
January 11, 2011 - 10:48am

I notie that you can now order at will - I think previously it would keep smart albums with smart albums and so on.

Anyway, I have a long running issue (used to happen in iPhoto too), where sometimes you would drag an album or project to somewhere else, typically at the bottom of a long list of albums, for example, but it would jump to the top of the list.

What causes this? It seems the only way to fix it is to drag it a couple, sometimes 3 or more, from the bottom, then selecting everything below it and dragging those above, to get the new album to be at the bottom of the list.

mrkgoo's picture
by mrkgoo
January 17, 2011 - 4:44am

Thanks David,

I was aware that this was the case when dragging at the bottom (or top) of a list, but is it also true when dragging a few from the bottom? For example, my issues sometimes happens when I try to drag an entry second-from-the-bottom (it bounces to top).

I thought that it would be clear it was between the last two - that is not give you the option of putting in a different hierarchy. However, if you can, then it’s entirely possible I just haven’t been paying attention when I drag! I’ll keep an eye out for it.

Thanks again.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
January 12, 2011 - 3:48am

Mr Kgoo,

I think you may need to explore the “Keep Projects & Albums Arranged By…” setting: [screenshot]

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

mrkgoo's picture
by mrkgoo
January 12, 2011 - 9:24am

Thanks, I thought that if you reordered something, it automatically switches to manual.
Regardless, from what I can tell there’s no rhyme nor reason to the order it wants, and it just prevents me from putting the album/project about 3 from the bottom. It allows me to place it elsewhere in the list. And it seems to be random - sometimes I can place, sometimes I can’t.

I’ll keep an eye out for that setting next time I have the issue to see if the issue concerns that, though, thanks.

Man, I must just have a really large library to deal with. I”m going to have to break this up at some point, I guess, as I won’t be able to keep everything in just one library eventually.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
January 12, 2011 - 11:57am

Mr Kgoo,

I have actually seen what you’re talking about before… usually it goes away if you open and close the enclosing project. Worth trying.

How big is your library that you feel you have to split?

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph

mrkgoo's picture
by mrkgoo
January 12, 2011 - 1:08pm

Yeah, it’s not a big issue - I tend to just put the project/album a few up in the list then drag the other ones above it. I’m guessing it’s a library database mis-sync. I was just curious if anyone knew of a permanent fix.

MY library is 150GB, ~ 38,000 images, probably half of which was migrated (and referenced) from iPhoto when I upgraded. I just moved from the habit of having ALL my images in one place.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
January 13, 2011 - 12:43am

Mr. Kagoo,

You could try a library repair or rebuild (hold down Option and Command on launch); certainly can’t hurt to try.

Your 38,000 image library is not big by Aperture standards. Mine is about 100,000 more than that, and even that’s not very big. Things tend to slow down if you keep jumping between projects, but I’ve found that when working in a single project, Aperture doesn’t seem to mind how large the rest of the library is.

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph

mrkgoo's picture
by mrkgoo
January 13, 2011 - 6:03am

Yeah, I didn’t think my library was excessive, being just a dabbler in photography, so thanks for the reassurance.

I pretty frequently rebuild my library, due to the aperture dat.XML not updating issue I have.

David Edge's picture
by David Edge
January 17, 2011 - 12:51am

Mr Kgoo
When you drag a project or album you need to keep an eye on not only how high up the screen the pin is, but also where it is left-right. Dragging it slightly left attaches it to higher levels in the hierarchy. The parent folder it is going to fall into is highlighted as well. Sorry the explanation doesn’t sound clear but have a go!
d.

d.

David Edge's picture
by David Edge
March 18, 2011 - 9:24pm

Mr Kgoo
I’ve cracked this (with the aid of Frank Caggiano in the Aperture forum). He suggested I looked at what the folder was sorted by and it happened to be manual (as expected). However I then experimented by re-setting it by ‘Type’ (which then put the smart albums above the book, but no matter). It didn’t sort the smart albums within ‘smart album though (good). I can now drag things to where I want - including dragging the book back amongst the smart albums.
So t looks like a glitch.
d.

d.

David Edge's picture
by David Edge
June 15, 2012 - 5:27am

I thought I’d cracked this, but it had returned. However it appears that Aperture 3.3 has finally nailed it. When projects are moved around they stay put.

d.

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness