Basically,
A batch process where I convert from a raw NEF file,
Choose the amount of pixels on the longest side,
Quality, and
Convert to jpeg

Can this be done with Aperture?
My computer has recently died,
Am changing over to an iMac and I am making a list of new software I require,
After watching Joseph's video on YouTube , I'm keen to give Aperture and Nik software a good run, as Adobe is starting to scare us amateurs away, we have to look at a more affordable option
I'm retired now and a subscription for software is not viable,
Regards,
Gary

Thomas Emmerich's picture
by Thomas Emmerich
June 6, 2013 - 12:48pm

Gary,

Aperture has an extensive set of presets and you can also create your own to be used to export images like you described above. If you decide to go with Aperture, do yourself a favor and get some of the excellent training available, especially the training available from ApertureExpert. (See Store link above) Or check out a subscription to Lynda.com.

Thomas

MiniD3's picture
by MiniD3
June 6, 2013 - 9:33pm

Thank you Thomas,
Yes, had another look at one of Joseph ‘s webinars and the store here
I would like to start on the right track as I have a huge amount of files to sort out and would like to do it right the first time
Regards
Gary

Marcus 's picture
by Marcus
June 7, 2013 - 11:16am

Aperture is actually very weak when it comes to this IMV.

I use JPEG4Web (a cheap app from the app store) as it allows you to set file size and quality very easily (in batches too). Just export full size JPEGs from Aperture and import them into JPEG4Web.

Not as neat as doing it in house but works well.

Butch Miller's picture
by Butch Miller
June 7, 2013 - 11:36am

“Aperture is actually very weak when it comes to this IMV.”

Marcus, I couldn’t disagree more on this issue. The whole reason I switched my entire RAW workflow from Lightroom to Aperture is I was tired of having to export tens of thousands of images each year in order to create slideshows and books with other apps … I was drowning in a sea of unnecessary jpegs and tiffs …

I routinely export 1,000 to 6,000 images to my online proof galleries following larger events I work. Aperture does a fine job of creating jpegs for web viewing. It’s child’s play to create an export preset for the proper file size and dimensions … I use a Transmit (my FTP client) shortcut which mounts my web server as a volume and the images are saved directly from the Aperture export task to the proper folder on my server … easy peasy … no house cleaning all the clutter of jpegs afterward … the only thing that could make it easier is if Aperture had a native FTP feature.

MiniD3's picture
by MiniD3
June 7, 2013 - 12:06pm

Appreciate your input

Marcus 's picture
by Marcus
June 7, 2013 - 2:38pm

We will have to agree to disagree then Butch! IMV it’s hopeless and I’ve used it since v1.

I’ve yet to get it to output accurately sized images never mind what settings I put in - and it has no ability I can find to display or constrain the actual output file size in Mb which is often required.

Happy to be proven wrong…!

Jim Burgess's picture
by Jim Burgess
June 8, 2013 - 12:20am

I have to agree with the “accurately sized images” part. One of my repetitive tasks is to output an image exactly 960x400. Regardless of the equivalent crop ratio I use, Aperture frequently (about 25% of the time) produces an image that is off by 1 or 2 pixels, e.g., the exported JPEG is 959x400. Adjusting the size or position of the crop usually fixes the problem, but it frequently takes multiple tries and on deadline that’s unacceptable.

Butch Miller's picture
by Butch Miller
June 8, 2013 - 12:36am

Well … I agree there is no method to easily control the data file size … but the clipping of a row of pixels in a jpeg conversion is quite common … I have seen that result in Ps, Lr and many other apps … Lr has a setting for export that is supposed to allow for setting file size to a specific level … it rarely works as advertised … in the end, for my needs these are very minor concerns … though I accept you fellas may have very different concerns …

But that’s what makes the world go round … different strokes for different folks …

What I do know, is Aperture has freed me from a world of hurt removing the need of dealing with a constant mountain of clutter of files I really don’t need …

Hopefully, Apple will address these and many other issues to make Aperture a more mature product …

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?