You are here

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Round trip to Photoshop - previews not updating #1
George's picture
by George
March 31, 2012 - 10:27pm

There seems to be some issues with changes to images I make in Photoshop via round tripping not appearing once I go back into Aperture even if previews are forced to be recreated. The changes I made do not appear in the larger viewer although they do seem to be updated in the smaller filmstrip view. I have to quit Aperture and restart to have the adjustments show up.

In general there seems to be some odd behaviors now between what adjustments are displayed in both Aperture and Photoshop as if the two companies are purposefully attempting to sabotage each other. My workflow has not changed but the behavior of the software has.

Has anyone else noticed anything odd going on?

Xorge

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
April 1, 2012 - 3:03am

George,

It’s not just to Photoshop, it happens with any external editor (even plugins). And it’s not something that always happens, so unfortunately we haven’t figured out a sure-fire fix yet.

Rebuilding previews and trashing cache sometimes fixes but not always. (Check the FAQ for trashing cache instructions if you want to try that).

Sometimes just resizing the Aperture window fixes it.

We’re all hoping for a fix soon, and I’m hearing about it more and more here so I’m guessing it’s gotten worse, not better.

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Craig Andrews's picture
by Craig Andrews
April 4, 2012 - 1:28am

I never had a problem with this until now and was searching for a fix, so was disappointed to see that apparently there is none. That is weird for all plugins etc. to be working seamlessly and then suddenly start having this issue. There must be something that will rectify this problem.

I'd much rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
April 4, 2012 - 2:00am

Craig,

I have a new theory to test but haven’t seen this come up since. If you’re still seeing it, try enabling/disabling an adjustment (any one should do it) and see if that fixes it?

@PhotoJoseph

Craig Andrews's picture
by Craig Andrews
April 4, 2012 - 2:38am

Joe, prior to reading your reply, I rebuilt my Library to see if that would make a difference. The first round trip on a file to PS came back and rendered in the viewer so I thought that might have been a fix but when I sent the same file to Nik Color Efex it came came back and the preview thumbnail rendered but it didn’t render in the viewer when opened. I resized my screen and then it rendered with the proper adjustment. I tried you suggestion as well and it seems to force the file to render in the viewer. I NEVER had an issue with this running an I-mac Quad with 16 GB ram (Snow Leopard) until I did the last software update that Apple issued for Aperture a week or so ago. Could there have been something in that update that is causing this?

On another note, is there anywhere on this Forum where one can make or change a setting so as to be notified when a particular topic is updated or receives a reply? Thanks!

Craig Andrews's picture
by Craig Andrews
April 4, 2012 - 2:43am

Joe, you can disregard my question on ‘TOPIC SUBSCRIPTIONS” as I figured it out .
Sorry to get off topic.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
April 4, 2012 - 3:36am

Craig,

“Could there have been something in that update that is causing this?”

Anything is possible :)

I think the fact that this has been an on-and-off issue for many versions of Aperture tells us that the engineers can’t quite figure this one out. There’s something in there that I’m sure is as frustrating to them as it is to us.

Glad to hear the adjustment toggle worked!

-Joseph

@PhotoJoseph

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness