You are here

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
[sad face] No Aperture Love at WWDC #1
Charles Putnam's picture
by Charles Putnam
June 11, 2013 - 4:06am

Although some of the videos included screen shots of Aperture, no formal announcement of a well needed update….especially in light of LR5 hitting today.

Butch Miller's picture
by Butch Miller
June 11, 2013 - 4:13am

Yes … a bit disappointing … but I’m not going to give up hope quite yet.

I don’t think they are spending all this time to beef up the graphics end of the new hardware … and new OS … and not offer an improved version of Aperture … I doubt they are doing so only to make life easier for competing developers …

I really did like some of the features demoed for OS X 10.9 “Mavericks” … and iOS 7 … many look very intriguing.

The only new feature I didn’t like was the auto updates for apps … I hope that is something that is user selectable … it’s too easy to get burned by a glitchy or troublesome update/upgrade …

Stuart's picture
by Stuart
June 11, 2013 - 4:15am

Charles,

Yes, it is disappointing that two years in a row now nothing mentioned about Aperture during the WWDC. Today Adobe released Lightroom 5 which I have already down loaded and installed this morning. I go got back and forth between Aperture and Lightroom. However I am now mainly staying with Lightroom. To me Aperture is now really falling behind.

Stu

gfsymon's picture
by gfsymon
June 11, 2013 - 6:21am

Doesn’t make sense to launch Aperture’s next version now. Apple always make a splash, so when the MacPro ships, that’s when they should roll out the new Aperture. What other ‘Pro’ app have they got to run alongside at the launch. I think this is encouraging, because it’ll need to be pretty radical to match the new MacPro.

Jim Burgess's picture
by Jim Burgess
June 11, 2013 - 7:01am

Besides Aperture, a new Logic Pro X and a significant update to FCP X, Compressor and Motion would fit in well with the official announcement/release of the new Mac Pro.

Butch Miller's picture
by Butch Miller
June 11, 2013 - 7:51am

As I recall … wasn’t Aperture 3 announcement given very unceremoniously via a press release?

Like I’ve said, I’m VERY anxious about something new for Aperture … but some of the direction OS X … and some of the hardware aspects of the new Mac Pro shared in today’s keynote did ease some of my concerns … though, I am no less impatient … ;-)

It’s possible that in tomorrow’s more in-depth look of the Mac Pro with the Pixar folks, that developers will observe, may shed more light on Aperture’s future …

gfsymon's picture
by gfsymon
June 11, 2013 - 7:09pm

As I recall Aperture 3 was launched in Feb2010 at what was then a big annual event for Apple. It was an extremely well concealed update (no prior rumours) and of course, was a really significant update to Aperture 2.x. However, Apple did subsequently use it in presentations during the week. It was released on the Tuesday. The day after the keynote. Oh … wait a minute … :)

Just to reiterate. People get sucked in by the marketing. Lr is a good app, but just because Adobe has put the number 5 on it, doesn’t make it any better. It is what it is. My feeling is that Adobe’s marketing men would have put the number 4.0 on Aperture 3.4. (which had a reworked UI and some nice enhancements, especially in speed. Big changes under-the-hood). They would then have sold it for the full price. Apple are not playing that game and I am grateful for it.

John Waugh's picture
by John Waugh
June 12, 2013 - 3:55am

Lots of Love for Pro Apps!
New Mac Pro with screaming fast architecture.
New hires in the Aperture group.
Rewrite of pro apps on the way to meet the new Pro GPU interface.
I’ll wait and not worry.
John

John Waugh, Photographic Images • Apple Certified Trainer• Sport Action Lifestyle Photography

Butch Miller's picture
by Butch Miller
June 12, 2013 - 8:02pm

Phil Schiller Confirms New Version of Final Cut Pro X Imminent with Mac Pro Release

I seriously hope that if we see a second meaningful update to Final Cut … that we will also see some love for Aperture as well …

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness