You are here

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Save PDF to folder as JPEG with higher dpi. #1
mark klovuthi-anun's picture
by mark klovuthi-anun
February 9, 2011 - 4:44pm

Hi,

I am really new to Aperture and just came across this website which I find it very useful. I just finish creating a portfolio for myself using the book feature and export (Print > PDF > Save PDF to folder as JPEG ) But when I open them with photoshop, I am getting the DPI at 200. Is there any possible way to export them at a higher DPI? I would prefer around 300 or close to 300. I am printing them at A3 size.

Thank you so much.
Mark,

subsea's picture
by subsea
February 9, 2011 - 6:32pm

Mark
if you set you preview under presences to 9 that should do the trick
i just test with my previews and i checked in PS 300 dpi
hope this helps you
you can update your previews if you go to photos and hold down options
Henrik

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
February 9, 2011 - 11:04pm

Henrik — thanks for the suggestion however what Mark is asking for is something different. He’s exporting a file using a built-in script, not rendering Preview files directly from Aperture.

Mark — the command you’re invoking is actually an AppleScript, and so that’s where the settings need to be changed.

In the Finder, go to Macintosh HD/Library/PDF Services and open the file “Save PDF to folder as JPEG.workflow”. You may see some warnings about a new version of the commands; just dismiss them.

The very first command is Render PDF Pages as Images. In there, you can change the output resolution [screenshot] among other things.

Let us know if that does what you need!
-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

mark klovuthi-anun's picture
by mark klovuthi-anun
February 10, 2011 - 2:47pm

Henrik - Thank for the initiative.
Joseph - Thank you a million! its working now.

Mark

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
September 21, 2011 - 8:29am

Matthew,

I’m not a PDF expert, but my understanding is that PDFs don’t have a native resolution. I believe (I hope!) that the PDF exported from Aperture will contain all the original data, so then it’s up to you to define a resolution when opening it in another app like Photoshop.

I’m sure there are people far more knowledgable than I on PDFs that may be able to give a better answer though…

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Matthew Thomas's picture
by Matthew Thomas
September 7, 2011 - 11:35pm

This works great for saving a PDF to a folder as JPEG but how can I do the same for a generic pdf using the ‘Save as PDF…’ option? I can’t find a way to change the resolution to 300dpi. Is there a different AppleScript that I need to change? The reason I want to do this is because I’ve got a great photoshop script that turns my pdf file into jpeg spreads. I then edit those spreads and upload to my online proofing software. I just need to have full resolution pdf’s in order to send to my album company once they are approved.

Thanks in advance,

Matt

jenjen's picture
by jenjen
December 16, 2012 - 6:41pm

I have a question along the same lines… I have finally been able to get my “Save PDF to folder as JPG” workflow to work, after having downloaded it from your website - Thanks Aperture Expert! However, it seems that some of the quality is lost because maybe it saves the file first to PDF then to JPG? Is there some compression in the saving to PDF? Is there a way to edit the “Save to PDF” workflow to make sure it is lossless so that images retain optimal quality? Thanks!

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?