You are here

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
Save PDF as Folder to JPEG #1
Nigel's picture
by Nigel
October 15, 2012 - 12:23pm

I'm making a custom photo book in Aperture.
Two questions:
-When I hit print and select 'Save PDF as Folder to JPEG' where does the file get saved to?
I can't find it.
-Is there a way to adapt and copy page layout templates from one theme to another? There are lots of lovely layouts in one theme but the are not available in the custom sized theme I'm using.

Sarah Mawdsley's picture
by Sarah Mawdsley
October 16, 2012 - 4:36am

One thing that I did do when I created a custom sized book, was to duplicate the book and then delete all the images from it and move it to a folder in the Aperture library, then when I want do the same layout again, I just use the book with the blank pages as the template. It’s not ideal but it’s a work around.

But that’s not really what your question was :)

Oh, and did you try using the spotlight to find the pdf?

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
October 16, 2012 - 7:28am

Nigel,

I just tried out that action, and what I noticed is that it generated the JPEGs first, and only after it was done did it ask where to save it. This makes sense as it’s actually a script, not a regular command. I also noticed that the save dialog did take some time to pop up; probably several minutes after it was done rendering. I had started digging around in my drive for the files before I noticed it come up. The book I tested it on was about a 20 page book, so nothing huge, so do keep that in mind. Maybe just walk away for several minutes after export to see if the dialog comes up.

This is what the dialog looks like, so not a standard save window: [screenshot]

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Nigel's picture
by Nigel
October 16, 2012 - 7:59am

That sounds like a good idea for layouts Sarah.

As for the other issue, can you try selecting ‘Save PDF as Folder to JPEG’ on your machine and see where Aperture puts the file?
I need to solve this, I have numerous books to make and I do not want to use Ps for every one!!!
Thanks!!!

Nigel's picture
by Nigel
October 16, 2012 - 10:36am

Joseph:
I’m doing something wrong then, because I’m just hitting Print right in the Book Module in Aperture and ‘PDF’ from the resulting Print popup window and then selecting ‘Save PDF as Folder to JPEG’. At no point does a dialog ask *where* to save show up.
That dialog box, what did you hit to get it?

Sarah Mawdsley's picture
by Sarah Mawdsley
October 16, 2012 - 1:00pm

Nigel
When you select the “Save pdf as folder to jpeg” command you should see a grey box showing the files are “printing” . As Joseph said, it takes quite a long time while the file is rendering, the progress is shown as it creates each page. Once the printing message has ended I noticed it still takes a few seconds before the “Copy Finder Items” pops up.

Have you tried it with just 2 pages so that it doesn’t take too long to render?

Did you try searching for the pdf file? I’m sure it’s there somewhere.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
October 17, 2012 - 3:24am

Nigel,

I didn’t hit anything to make it come up, and I accessed the PDF menu the same way you described.

I like Sarah’s suggestion — try it with a small book, i.e. just a couple of pages, to see if it comes up?

I don’t think though that searching for the PDF will find it. Until it’s saved, I believe it’s stored in RAM or in some cache folder. Maybe maybe if you searched inside the ~/Library you could find some cached PDF that would be it?

@PhotoJoseph

Nigel's picture
by Nigel
October 17, 2012 - 11:26am

It finally showed up!
Thanks for the assistance chaps!

Sarah Mawdsley's picture
by Sarah Mawdsley
October 18, 2012 - 4:40am

The suspense is killing me, where was it? And did you finally see the dialogue box?

holly mitchell's picture
by holly mitchell
October 21, 2012 - 10:12pm

Hi All,
Just came across this posting. I too am working on a clients’ book using Aperture. I have done a custom design, but using the plug-in from Couture Books. This plug-in allows me to upload directly to them for printing … However, I only wish to print two books via them (due to their high-end prices) and then get 10 regular books printed from either Blurb, Apple, Photobox …

You mention that there is a choice to “Save pdf as folder to jpeg”. I cannot find this option. Am I misunderstanding? I seem to only be able to save as a reg PDF and this is not what I can send to any book printer. I need to create either JPGs or PDF/X-3 files.

I am worried that I am going to be required to rebuild the book in photoshop or something …. (it’s a big book!).

Any light that can be shed would be gratefully received! Thanks Holly

PS: does anyone know if saving it as a Postscript is a possibility?

Sarah Mawdsley's picture
by Sarah Mawdsley
October 16, 2012 - 2:16am

When I have used the Save PDF as folder to jpeg command I typically have had a dialogue box pop up asking where to save it to (after the pages have been “printed”). I think by default it goes to the desktop.

As far as I am aware, it is not possible possible to do what you are looking for with regard to copying the page layouts. I, too, would be interested to hear if anybody has a good workaround for that one.

Nigel's picture
by Nigel
October 16, 2012 - 3:13am

Yeah, I thought that too but the files are not on my desktop.
I still can’t find them.

Fro the second question: I’ll have to design in Aperture and then export the pages and resize them in Photoshop to 10x10. It’s either that or recreate each of the templates.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
October 23, 2012 - 8:53am

Holly,

Hit Print, then look under the PDF menu. That’s where these options are (and I think postscript might be there, too).

@PhotoJoseph

Philippe's picture
by Philippe
April 16, 2013 - 10:42pm

1. For anyone interested, if you wonder where Aperture puts the .pdf as a result from the top righthand button ‘Buy Book…’, I found mine here, YMMV:
/private/var/folders/g0/s02kk8vn52zfb6x70p8l18xm0000gn/T
/com.apple.Aperture/Aperture/Book/

^ that’s one line, but broke up for ‘readability’

Might be useful if you want to print the book from a service other than Apple (who, in my my case, sends it of to Kodak in Hungary, but I’m in Europe now, and I digress)

2. The book tip from Sarah is a good one, and used by rwboyer as well:
http://photo.rwboyer.com/2009/01/13/aperture-book-tricks/

(if it’s ok to post a link to his website, which *looks* informative as well Joseph - I don’t know, so feel free to delete my post)

Abigail Klinton's picture
by Abigail Klinton
October 9, 2013 - 6:39pm

Hi there
This topic is important for me.I want to know is there any easy way to save pdf files as folder?The author said that he has tried to save pdf as folder to jpeg.Can i convert the pdf to jpeg directly?Any suggestion?

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness