You are here

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Saving, Importing and exporting Path #1
David  Moore's picture
by David Moore
May 19, 2012 - 4:42am

I know AP doesn't handle layer masks well. I didn't know that if I had a clipping path in the file made in PS that it would import fine but when I need to export it I lose it. That is unless I export as a master, then I get the clipping Path. That goes for psd files and jpgs with clipping paths.

davidbmoore@mac.com
Twitter= @davidbmoore
Scottsdale AZ

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
May 19, 2012 - 9:02am

DBmoore,

Losing clipping paths makes sense, since if you export from Aperture you are essentially flattening the file and as a JPG, all masks or paths would be removed, yes. They aren’t supported by the JPG standard are they? Can you add a clipping path to a JPG and save it as a JPG in Photoshop, and retain the path?

I think this falls under “expected behavior”. What is it about the layers masks that isn’t working for you though? You don’t have access to those in Aperture of course, and any export would be handled the same as clipping paths, but they shouldn’t be altered in any way.

-Joseph

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

David  Moore's picture
by David Moore
May 19, 2012 - 9:34am

Joseph
“Can you add a clipping path to a JPG and save it as a JPG in Photoshop, and retain the path?” I was totally surprised by that as well. I haven’t used paths much but this new client needs them. Just now figuring out the workflow AP wants me to do and not what I want it to do. Cheers

davidbmoore@mac.com
Twitter= @davidbmoore
Scottsdale AZ

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
May 19, 2012 - 9:49am

DBmoore,

I assume your posting of my question and your reply means that it does? Interesting. Why would you want a clipping path on a JPG? It seems to me that if you intend to use a path, you would want it applied to an uncompressed image.

I would say then that you can manage the file in Aperture as always, but for the export to the client, open up in editor again, then export (save-as) from there.

-Joseph

@PhotoJoseph

David  Moore's picture
by David Moore
May 19, 2012 - 12:13pm

I did some furniture shots that need the path included for another program like indesign. They use it to knockout the background to clear so they can place the chair or bed on any color. I usually give tifs but they wanted jpg load to a dropbox file. The paths where actually made in india for $3.00 each. This was long answer cuz its friday night and Ive got no place to go.

davidbmoore@mac.com
Twitter= @davidbmoore
Scottsdale AZ

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
May 19, 2012 - 12:24pm

ROFL you and me both, brother ;-)

$3 each path… good deal. I sure as hell wouldn’t draw a path for $3.

-Joseph

@PhotoJoseph

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness