You are here

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
scaling / resizing on import #1
simon lambert's picture
by simon lambert
March 21, 2012 - 6:04am

Hi all,
This is my first post and I'm new to Aperture so please be patient with me and I apologise if this has already been asked before or should have been asked in preset support but the question relates to both.
I'm trying to make the switch from Photoshop at work, to only Aperture at home.
At work I use about 5 different cameras, all with different file sizes and everything is done in Photoshop. But sometimes I take images for my own personal use, that I bring home.
I'm looking for a way to to resize smaller files and previously cropped images to 21 meg / 5616 x 3744 on Import to Aperture, to get full use of the masks in the film and funk presets and other presets as well.
I'm not really worried about quality degradation by resizing, as my first attempt by importing a file to Aperture then resizing on export, then re-importing looks great on smaller files, with the resulting workflow even adding to the overall effect as well.
Is there a way I can batch edit / resize all images on the original Import rather than doubling up on my files.
I'm trying to do an Aperture only workflow for this, as I'm usually over Photoshop by the time I get home, and only using only Aperture will help me learn how to use it fully, rather than going back to Photoshop every time I hit a hurdle.
Any ideas ??

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
March 21, 2012 - 11:51pm

Simon,

Welcome to the site!

There is no scaling tool on import, simply because the ethos of Aperture is that you bring in your image at full resolution, untouched from the original, edit as needed and export the final size that you want.

I understand what you’re trying to do at this point, specifically so you can work with my presets (hey, thanks!) but you may want to go through the multi-step process of importing the full rez, exporting at your “new” rez, then importing again, just so that you do have that full resolution image, “just in case”.

Regardless, I see two ways to meet the challenge.

One is to import at full size, then use the script Convert Master File Format but in a modified way. That script is designed for you to throw away the master and import a JPG version of the photo at any rez you like. The only modification I would suggest is that you don’t throw away the original; just keep both.

If you really do want to scale before import, then scale them using an Automator script. It’s really easy to make; just launch Automator, create a new Application, search for “scale” and add that to the workflow, and set the Size to 5616. Save that as an app and whenever you want to import photos, drag and drop them on that app and they will all be scaled to 5616 (longest side). [screenshot]

At least that’s the theory — obviously try it out!

You can also add a duplicate function in there so it dupes the photos before scaling; without it it will scale the originals and save over them, so be aware of that.

Let me know if that helps to achieve what you want to do,

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Thomas Boyd's picture
by Thomas Boyd
March 22, 2012 - 12:37am

Depending on the camera, you could also shoot at a lower resolution. Many newer Canon cameras have a small Raw size that would solve your problem…if you aren’t concerned about size.

simon lambert's picture
by simon lambert
March 22, 2012 - 10:16am

Thanks for the replies.

I had already tried using Automator as a starting point which worked “ok” but thought there may be something better.

After a slight shuffle to my workflow and trying the Convert Master File Format Script with an edited export preset, it’s pretty much about perfect.

I can also see the script will come in handy for making modified duplicates in a project, using different edited export presets, as long as I remember to change files to unrated from rejected straight after the conversion, which is an easy option in the script as well.

I asked for a solution to 1 problem and got answers for 2 and I haven’t even used the script for it’s intended purpose yet…. that’s awesome.

This makes dealing with so many file types and sizes from work (raw to low rez jpegs) so much easier to deal with at home.
Leaving Photoshop at work where it belongs.

Thanks All

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
March 22, 2012 - 10:45am

Simon,

Nice, glad to hear it. You can modify the script as well to make different ratings if you want to the originals, if you’re not going to delete them.

@PhotoJoseph

simon lambert's picture
by simon lambert
March 22, 2012 - 11:35am

Good idea,
Thanks again.

Just checking,
as your script is Copyrighted, are you saying it’s ok for me to modify and change the script from “to set main rating to -1” to “to set main rating to 1” as this will give me a 1 star rating (a signal to me it’s been copied or modified) leaving it in my project and not move the files to rejects automatically.

Always like to check when I’m changing other peoples hard work.
Feel free to reply and delete this post if you prefer I didn’t show others how to modify your script. Completely understand if you do.

Thanks

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
March 22, 2012 - 11:41am

Simon,

You can modify it for personal use; you just can’t resell it ;-)

Thanks for asking, we appreciate it!!

@PhotoJoseph

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness