You are here

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Security on the mac? #1
Chris Hoch's picture
by Chris Hoch
June 30, 2011 - 5:05am

Very lossly related aperture question. I have setup the guest account on my mac and I wish to protect my aperture library from the guest account. In windows I would use ntfs permissions to lock the file down to certain local users.

Is there anyway I can lock down the aperture library for just my wife and I's account to get access to it?

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
June 30, 2011 - 8:01am

Chris,

If your Aperture library is inside of a user account, then it can’t be accessed from the Guest account. The Guest account has no access to the insides of any other user account, unless granted.

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Chris Hoch's picture
by Chris Hoch
June 30, 2011 - 8:04am

Unfortunately it isn’t, the library resides on an external drive for space reasons.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
June 30, 2011 - 8:38am

Chris,

Ah, OK. If you Get Info on the HD itself, you can change the permissions for it. I’m no expert on permissions, but I’d imagine if you set “everyone” to “no access”, that’d block out other users. Then be sure to add “read & write” permissions to each user you need. Don’t forget to disable “ignore ownership on this volume” which is probably on by default for an external HD. [screenshot]

You may be able to do the same thing for just the Library itself, or maybe for a folder containing it? I haven’t ever tried that though.

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph

Thomas Emmerich's picture
by Thomas Emmerich
June 30, 2011 - 9:28am

If you disable “ignore ownership on this volume”, you will have numerous problems accessing your Aperture library from more than one user. Setting access privileges for individuals to the library doesn’t work. I’ve experimented extensively trying to get my wife and I access to the same library. The only thing that works is enabling “ignore ownership…” which can only be done on a non-boot drive.

A guest account gives you access to the entire computer and all drives attached unless you enable parental controls. Once parental controls are on, you can specify “Simple Finder” which will only show the guest user what you’ve enabled. Enable only those applications you would like the user to see. They cannot see external drives in the Finder. There are trade-offs when setting parental controls. Sure it limits access but sometimes it prevents applications from running even though you’ve enabled them. Some applications just don’t want to work right in a managed account.

One possible solution is if its an external drive, keep it unplugged and hidden except for when you and your wife need to access it. Not ideal I know.

Thomas

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
June 30, 2011 - 9:40am

Thomas — Thanks for that… I’d forgotten about these discussions in the past.

Chris — Well there you go… hopefully Thomas’s suggestion will help out.

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?