You are here

1 post / 0 new
Sharing Aperture media within the local wifi net #1
Luc L.L.'s picture
by Luc L.L.
January 26, 2015 - 2:11pm

Hi All,

Well, its been a while I’ve been around here, but glad to be back :)

I’m looking for suggestions and “the best way” how to make the aperture media available for others within the local wifi/network to brows and copy.  Others are not necessarily required to make changes or adjustments to the media, but they should have access to the albums and folders as it is sorted/organized within Aperture and be then able to take a copy of an image to use in their own material (email, document, etc). 

I’m not a pro photographer, just a hobbyist and family member with quite a large photo library collected over the years (decades). (~100K) and am looking for a way how my other family members can in an easy and user friendly way consult and use the pictures from the (Aperture) library.  So far I’ve tried several ways but was not satisfied. so want to do this now the right way for once and for all.  We have - by now - and apple estate, MBPs, mini etc.

I’ve tried web-like/NAS based solutions (as all the pictures are referenced) to eg have a web server based display of all the pictures in the folders on the NAS, but then the album information etc from Aperture is not aligned, and I dont want to assign the albums twice to albums :) not to mention trying to keep it in sync :).

On my local workstation/MBP I can enable to share the pictures via eg the iTunes setting to be available to other apps, and if I e.g would want to insert in a document or email a picture I can see the Aperture Library structure via the Finder “Media” overview of the Finder, including albums etc.  But this does not work across the network :( 

Something simple as that is what i’m looking for so the other members could open/attach the pictures or albums in a similar way; easy and straight forward. Preferably the setup of it should be that too :).  iCloud would potentially be an option I’ve noticed, but then I would prefer not to have my “entire” collection on the iCloud either but still available to my family.  SO Im mainly looking for a local network based solution. :)

So I’m keep to hear how anyone has addressed this issue or if this should stay my next x-mass wish. 

Thanks ahead for any effort, time and suggestions anyone may have!!

Regards,

Luc

PS: or any hint/clue this would be available in Photos?

Luc - Mini/MBP/MBPR - QNAP NAS, Nikon D5300, AW100, Sony TR3

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?