You are here

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Size of JPEG after converting from RAW #1
John Smith's picture
by John Smith
March 19, 2013 - 4:10am

Hi, can you help me with the following? I am new to Aperture and find it is not easy to find some answers to some questions. When I convert 25-26mb RAW pictures into .JPEG format in the highest resolution I find its size 9-10mb after conversion. When I do the same with the same pictures in Lr the size of .JPEGs turn to be 15-17mb. Comparing 2 similar .jpeg Lr and Aperture pictures in tiny details at 200% zoom shows more sharp details in Lr. Where are that 5-7 extra mb getting lost when converting into .jpeg in Aperture? How to increase size and resolution?

Butch Miller's picture
by Butch Miller
March 19, 2013 - 5:03am

To change image export presets … from the Menu go to Aperture>Presets>Image Export … you can click on any of the provided default jpeg export options or create your own new presets … all you need to do is increase the file size by sliding the Image Quality setting to the right. The higher the number, the lower the compression that is applied to the jpeg export.

In the end, there really is no difference in the quality of jpeg export that is capable from either application … though Lr does use a scale of 0-100% and Aperture uses the 0-12 setting … 100% in Lr is the same as level 12 in Aperture 3 … (Ps uses the same 1-12 scale as well) …

John Smith's picture
by John Smith
March 20, 2013 - 3:53am

Thanks for the tip. Now it works. My export preset was at 11. After setting at 12 file size of some .jpg pictures got 30mb+ which is bigger than in RAW original

Nickthompson's picture
by Nickthompson
June 25, 2022 - 8:34pm

File resolution is set in Camera Raw or Lightroom.  In ACR there’s a link to that panel at the bottom of you frame.

Screen Shot 2018-05-07 at 7.26.41 PM.png

Click that text and it opens up the panel for the image processing prefs. Set those to the size and resolution you want for your final file. 

Then you have an image that is at least the proper size before saving as a jpeg.

When saving as a jpeg, remember this is a compressed format, and if you expect to edit the jpeg image you will get compression artifacts, so that is not ideal for high image quality reasons. 

Saving as a jpeg you are given options, and those will determine the final file size as well. 

Screen Shot 2018-05-07 at 7.33.51 PM.png

Using Maximum Quality produces the least ammount of compression and the largest files, and moving the slider to the left will reduce file sized but increase compression artifacts.  in that way you can easily convert raw to jpg

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?