You are here

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Size of Library's #1
David Berry's picture
by David Berry
August 4, 2012 - 11:34am

My library is approx 700GB right now and is properly backed up. My fear is that the larger the library gets the greater chance of something going wrong ie: corruption ect or if you have to rebuild it takes 7-8 hours.
Question : what size library have you found to be acceptable/idel/safe before you start another library. What complicates the issue is your need for more backups.
Thankyou for your thought / ideas.
Dave

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
August 8, 2012 - 3:31am

David,

There’s no hard limit to library size, and as long as your performance is fine (and it’s gotten exponentially better over the years), I wouldn’t worry too much about a really large library.

The only drawback I supposed would be precisely what your concern is; that restoring from a backup would take that much longer. I guess it’s a case of trade-offs; would you rather save time now not having to switch between libraries, or would you rather save time in the possible future of a library restore?

For what it’s worth, I keep one main library. Yes I have others for special projects but ultimately it’s all on one place — and that library is approaching 200k images.

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Marcus 's picture
by Marcus
August 12, 2012 - 7:17pm

Size of library’s what?

Milt Anglin's picture
by Milt Anglin
August 4, 2012 - 9:20pm

Rather than having one large library I create a separate library for each year for my personal pictures. Personal libraries are kept on a separate hard drive. I also create a separate library for each commercial shoot that are kept on a separate hard drive. Shoots that I do for family and friends are also in separate libraries on another hard drive. All libraries are backed up in Vaults, also on a separate hard drive, and all hard drives are backed up on Backblaze. Yes, I have quite a few hard drives but if one fails it doesn’t take that long to rebuild it and hard drives are pretty cheap now. Some small libraries I keep on flash drives.
It works for me.

Milt

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness