You are here

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Skin Smoothing as Noise reduction #1
Andres Tovar's picture
by Andres Tovar
March 13, 2013 - 5:33am

Hello all,

For a while I've been using the sking smoothing brush as a strong noise reduction tool (wich I personally think is missing in Aperture). I mainly use it for noisy skies of big surfaces, big areas where the noise is more visible.

I was wondering what your thoughts about this procedure were and wether there is a big con I'm forgetting. The result on both, screen or prints , looks great.

Best

Andres

Martin De's picture
by Martin De
March 17, 2013 - 5:38pm

I discovered this trick this some time ago as well and when you don’t overdo it I think it works fine.

Greetz, Martin

Butch Miller's picture
by Butch Miller
March 17, 2013 - 5:53pm

You are not alone in your thinking … Derrick Story had a recent blog post about this exact topic … More Pleasing Skin Tones using Noise Reduction in Aperture 3

Quite often our tools offer up options that were not intended … and I think the theory and application of skin smoothing was a happy inadvertent discovery when exploring noise reduction … though each software developer has applied different perspectives on how the specific tools …

In the end, if care is properly applied, and the resulting image maintains it’s intended goal … it’s all good …

Russell's picture
by Russell
March 18, 2013 - 2:25am

Except Derrick is using noise reduction for skin smoothing. ;)

Same horse, different jockey.

Russell

Butch Miller's picture
by Butch Miller
March 18, 2013 - 8:44am

Yes, Russ. That was exactly my point that the tools can be interchangeable for certain tasks as they both deal with blending adjacent tones, color, contrast and density for blending at the pixel level, though with slightly different control features … Which can be a win-win situation for the user …

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness