You are here

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Smart Folder in Finder #1
Sarah Mawdsley's picture
by Sarah Mawdsley
July 21, 2012 - 5:29pm

I hope nobody minds me asking an OS X question even though it's not really Aperture related. You all have such a good knowledge of these things that I feel sure it's the place to come!

I am trying to help a friend who is REALLY struggling in moving from a pc to the mac. The problem is she seems to want it to be more complicated than it is! I have explained that the basic principle is the same but …..

Anyway, her main issue seems to relate to iPhone pics. She's a photographer and uses LR (I'm not even going to try to persuade her to change since she's familiar with that program already).

I have recommended she uses image capture to transfer the files from the phone, to ensure she doesn't get bogged down with the way iPhoto stores originals (we went down that road already and it made for a big mess!)

So, to help her, I thought it would be a good idea if she created a Smart Folder in her finder window that would isolate all her iPhone images then she would be able to find any that she had imported earlier but had somehow lost track of …… However, I'm struggling to know what criteria to use to accomplish this.

For me, it's easy, and works fine if I use kind = jpg and name begins with img. I use a totally different file naming structure for my “real” camera files, so anything with img is, by default, from the iphone. However, she's a Canon user and those files I believe by default start with img. I think it's highly unlikely that she has ever changed that file name so this smart folder search would not work for her.

I am struggling to find another combination that would accomplish what I am trying to achieve.

Anybody got some bright ideas? It doesn't help that I am here in Europe and she is in New York, or I'd pop round to her house and sit with her until we figured it out.

Thanks in advance for any help and sorry it's not Aperture related.

Sarah

Kevin Edwards's picture
by Kevin Edwards
July 22, 2012 - 12:40pm

This may be more of a Light Room question since in Aperture, it’s really easy to simply create iPhone folders, and I’d think there would be someway of doing this in Aperture.

However, in the Finder, you can create a Smart Folder that filters on either “Device Make contains Apple” or “Device Model Contains iPhone”. This will work even if the file name has been changed from IMG. However, if you wanted, you could add another filter that required “Name Begins With IMG_”

Sarah Mawdsley's picture
by Sarah Mawdsley
July 22, 2012 - 1:18pm

Right, it’s not an Aperture question it’s a Finder question as per the title of the post and the first sentence.

Lightroom is not part of the equation either. I know the img works for me, but not for the person who is trying to find all her iPhone pics as img brings up all her other Canon images as well as the iphone images.

However, you have hit the nail on the head, device make contains Apple is exactly what I was looking for but couldn’t figure out which was the right one.

Thanks for your help.

Sarah Mawdsley's picture
by Sarah Mawdsley
July 22, 2012 - 5:19pm

Thanks again for your help, worked like a charm.

Very powerful those smart folders in Finder. I use them all the time in Aperture, but not so much for the OS.

Much appreciated.

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?