You are here

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
SNOW LEOPARD to OS Lion not mountain yet #1
Mauricio Orozco's picture
by Mauricio Orozco
October 31, 2012 - 8:47am

I do not have any application from Windows. I basically use my iMac to check news in the net, investigate Nikon stuff ( I am a photographer ) and other things basically related to my photography. I use my iMac to process my pictures. I do have Aperture 3 and all NIK plug-ins, so I am having a very hard time to decide if I really need to upgrade to Lion. One of the thing that I DO NOT want to do, is to use the trackpad. I am mouse user and I would like to stay like that for now but my intention to thinking about upgrading to LION is that I will be able to upgrade Aperture 3.4.1 - So, base on this information, what do you suggest or recommend me to do ? Thank you so much for your help.

Best regards,
Mauricio.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
October 31, 2012 - 10:48am

Mauricio,

You don’t have to use a trackpad on Mountain Lion. You can use a mouse, or tablet, or whatever you like.

If you’re going to go to Lion, you may as well go to Mountain Lion. It’s generally considered a better, more solid operating system.

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

by Mauricio Orozco
October 31, 2012 - 11:33am

Thank you Joseph for your help. I do have more questions please :
> would I be able to continue my mouse in full into Aperture 3 ?
> Do you think I should upgrade directly to Mountain Lion ?
> Basically the main reason for me to upgrade is because the new Aperture version that I would like to have ( I am not interested in the 250 applications or other fancy stuff included in the upgrade ), so do you think is worth to go for ?

Thanks again for your help.
Best regards

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
October 31, 2012 - 11:58am

Mauricio,

Mouse in Aperture — yes

Upgrade directly — yes, absolutely (assuming you mean vs. upgrading to Lion first, then Mountain Lion)

Other features — well, that’s harder to say. I don’t know anyone who only uses their Mac for Aperture, so it’s hard for me to answer that. However features like Shared Photo Stream are only in Mountain Lion, and if you share to facebook or twitter that’s built into the OS… but overall, features aside, ML is more stable than Lion.

All of that said… why don’t you hold off another few weeks. There are some odd reports around 3.4.1 of permissions problems and weird errors showing up. I’d wait it out just a little bit.

@PhotoJoseph

by Mauricio Orozco
October 31, 2012 - 6:23pm

Thanks Joseph. I will wait a bit more but please, one last question :
> Do I need to pay to upgrade Aperture or not ?

Thank you so much
Best regards

Carl Brauer's picture
by Carl Brauer
October 31, 2012 - 10:48pm

I saw that you use the Nik software plugins. You may want to read this thread as well:

http://www.apertureexpert.com/tips/2012/10/15/recovering-lost-nik-softwa…

I upgraded my iMac to Mountain Lion and had no issues whatsoever; nor have I had any with the latest version of Aperture. But I would probably follow Joseph’s advice and hold off for a while as it does not seem critical for you to upgrade.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
November 1, 2012 - 12:27am

Mauricio,

You said in the original post that you had Aperture 3 already, so no, the upgrade to 3.4.1 is free.

@PhotoJoseph

Marcus 's picture
by Marcus
November 2, 2012 - 6:37pm

Note that ML is system dependent.

Not all Macs can run it - my Mac Pro workstation cannot, for example. I think most things that run Snow Leopard can run Lion, but some things that run Lion cannot run ML.

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness