You are here

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Sort images in project #1
bill@billbooth.ca's picture
by bill@billbooth.ca
June 21, 2014 - 6:18pm

I need to SORT the images in a project, not using any of the default columns. Can a new column be added to the Database allowing me to arbitrarily add an integer upon which to sort?

Bill Booth

Jim Pappas's picture
by Jim Pappas
June 21, 2014 - 8:18pm

Bill,

Not exactly what you are looking for… but do you know that you can just drag your photos to any order that you want… and then change the “sort by”  from whatever default you use (name, date, etc) to “Manual”.    That manual order will persist and you can select it any time that you want.

In fact… the moment that you drag the first photo into a different location, the sort field will automatically change to manual for that project.

/Jim

/Jim Pappas

BonnieB's picture
by BonnieB
June 21, 2014 - 8:45pm

In Grid View, or List View? In Grid View there are 18 possibilities + Manual; in List View you can use those 19, or select a(ny?) column and then arrow for Ascending/Descending.

As Jim said, maybe you did not realize how to begin the Manual sort. That does retain a personal arbitrary order. Although we do not actually see the field with the integer, it must be there in the database. Try that, or go to List View for access to more fields to sort on.

Jim Pappas's picture
by Jim Pappas
June 21, 2014 - 8:48pm

Bill,

I figured it out.  ;)

1. switch the inspector to “Info”
  2. Use the gear to select “manage custom fields”
  3. Use “+” to  create a new custom field called “sort order”
  4. In whichever view option you want to use (ex General)… check “sort order”
  5. Click the “Browser Metadata Overlay” icon in the lower right of your screen, and select “Edit”
  6. Select “View > List - Expanded” in the upper right of the popup window
  7. Check “Metadata Fields > Custom Fields > Sort Order”
  8. By default, Sort order will be last column… but you can drag it to wherever you want
  9. Enjoy ;)

Hope this helps.   Answering questions for things I’ve never done before, helps me become more proficient at using Aperture.  ;)

/Jim

/Jim Pappas

bill@billbooth.ca's picture
by bill@billbooth.ca
June 21, 2014 - 9:42pm

Thanks Jim. Big help.

Bill Booth

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness