You are here

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Sports photography organisation #1
Kay in's picture
by Kay in
May 19, 2012 - 11:51pm

Hi all,

I wonder what your suggestions are for managing big libraries for Sports photographers. Currently i shoot it professionally for a while now, and now i make a library for each match running up from 6 to 11 GB per match (1200 to max 4000 images a match)

I was thinking folder structure per category

Sports
–2012
—–05-25-Feyenoord-Ajax
—–05-22-NAC-Heracles
–2011
–etc..
Client & Corporate
–2012
—–05-25-company1
—–05-22-company2
–2011
–etc..
Stock
–2012
—–05-25-shoot1
—–05-22-shoot2
–2011
–etc..
And then star everything with the smallest potentinal, and delete everything without a star at the end?
Currently i save all photos but thats way to much i'm afraid.

I curious how other do this or have any suggestions

Kay in's picture
by Kay in
May 22, 2012 - 3:17am

thank you i will proceed and see how performance gets.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
May 20, 2012 - 6:40am

Kay,

Your structure sounds good and that’s pretty much what I teach. Keep things in a chronological order, and name the projects yyyy-mm-dd. I do include the year on mine but it’s not critical, as long as you have the projects in a year folder as you do.

The actually naming structure I do is like this: “2012-05-19 | name of event”. The space-bar-space makes things look really nice and easy to see in Aperture.

It’s not really necessary to have a unique library for each match. That seems like a lot of hassle, and frankly I’d rather keep it all in one place. But that’s up to you.

If you want to avoid deleting files at the end, but need to save space, check out the AppleScript that converts the master RAW to a JPG (of any size you want) in the store.

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness