You are here

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
SSD and rebuilding the library #1
David  Moore's picture
by David Moore
May 13, 2012 - 10:28pm

Im very close to getting an SSD in place of the superdrive. My question is more about the Rebuilding of the library if the library is stored on the SSD. Ive always heard the you should not try to defrag a SSD and I thought some of the steps that AP uses in its rebuilding three step process dose that. Perhaps Defraging is not part of what AP does?
Perhaps Defraging software is just way to aggressive for SSDs. Any one run the repair library options on an SSD????

davidbmoore@mac.com
Twitter= @davidbmoore
Scottsdale AZ

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
May 15, 2012 - 1:51am

Interesting question DBmoore. I have rebuilt (small) libraries on my MacBook Air’s SSD before without problem, but that doesn’t necessarily answer your question. I seriously doubt that it’s a problem though; SSDs aren’t new to Macs, nor is Aperture, so I think if a rebuild on a SSD was a problem we’d have heard about it before.

Of course that’s all conjecture… anyone else with actual experience here?

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

David  Moore's picture
by David Moore
May 15, 2012 - 6:20am

Guess Im trying to figure out if Rebuild is a defragmentation tool or if it just links up files without moving them? iDrag movers files based on their link. Not something I do regularly do, in fact I did it once going from AP2 to AP3. I was in a world of pain on that one. I can move my lib out of its own separate volume and then defrag the empty volume before I move the library back in. In theory it safer than defraging the Lib itself.
Does it work? I have no idea.

davidbmoore@mac.com
Twitter= @davidbmoore
Scottsdale AZ

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness