You are here

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Switching between RAW + JPEG Masters #1
Ruud Hennequin's picture
by Ruud Hennequin
September 21, 2013 - 7:36pm

I am often helping some newbee friends after their Aperture purchase to get started.
But sometimes I come across some issues I do not have an answer to.

This time it is the issue that raw+jpg pais have been imported, and that jpg has been set (accidentally) to use a the original. After carrying out adjustments on the images, my friend has exported them.
I told him that he could better set the raw as the original, but he replied “but what will happen with my adjustments then?”.

Searching the internet I came across this:
==================================
3.6. Switching between RAW + JPEG Masters

If you've imported RAW + JPEG pairs with either the RAW or JPEG set as Master, you only see one member of the pair in the Viewer. HOWEVER, any metadata or ADJUSTMENT changes you make to one are applied to the OTHERS AS WELL.

NOTE

To switch an entire album of RAW + JPEG pairs to use the other format as master, or if you have an album or project that contains JPEG + RAW pairs, some with RAW as master and some with JPEG as master, select the Album or Project in the library, then choose PhotosSwitch Album/Project to use RAW Masters or Switch Album/Project to use JPEG Masters.
========================

Now, my question is: will there be a significant difference in the exported results when using jpg or raw with the same set of adjustments.
E.g. if I have a miswhitebalanced jpg which turns out too blue and I have corrected it, what will be the effect on the raw (which vcan be easily be whitbalanced in all flavours).

Has anyone some exprience with this?

Regards,

Aperdutch

Ruud Hennequin
-----AperDutch---

Jim Pappas's picture
by Jim Pappas
September 22, 2013 - 1:45am

In my experience, yes, the same adjustments will apply, but they will look different.

Personally, my normal workflow is to import JPEG+Master as pairs, with JPEG (not RAW) as master. The reason that I do this is because straight out of the camera, I think that the JPEG does look better because the in-camera JPEG processing is pretty good.

However, after I do my key wording, geotagging, rating, etc… but before I start adding adjustments… I will switch masters needing adjustments back to RAW.

/Jim

/Jim Pappas

Ruud Hennequin's picture
by Ruud Hennequin
September 22, 2013 - 5:40pm

Jim, true about the JPG does look better. I have a Nikon and set it to ‘Vivid’ (a recommendation of Ken Rockwell). But then your RAW will look bleach and flat.

However, I made a Preset ‘Vivid’ that simulates the Nikon Vivid setting when applied to the RAW.
The Preset only uses Enhance (c=0,06 ; d=0,12 ; s=1,2 ; v=0,0) and Sharpen (i=0,61 ; r=2,38) and takes by Color a bit out of the red saturation (s=-19,0). Works pretty well.

Regards Aperdutch (Ruud)

Ruud Hennequin
-----AperDutch---

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?