You are here

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Sync edited photos to iPad #1
Peder's picture
by Peder
March 10, 2012 - 12:36pm

I'm using Aperture 3.2.2 and I don't seem to be able to sync edited images, like cropped versions to my iPad, only the Master images get synchronised. Also, there seem not to be an option within iTune (10.6) to select Aperture options, liked 3+ start etc,.

Anyone have the same issue or any suggestion what to do.

Cheers,
Peder

Peder's picture
by Peder
March 11, 2012 - 1:23pm

Hi Joseph,

Thanks for the reply. I have the Preferences set as you outlined and the iTune Photo Sharing selected. But cropped photos still does not sync correctly to my iPad. However, they do play just fine on my Apple TV.

I did some testing with a single photo, copied from a Master image, and re cropped the photo, and it synced OK. I then tried to re-crop the original versions, but they still don’t sync to the iPad correctly.

On another note, I notice when I trashed the test photo, and then checked the Trashcan, it was not visible, which I thing it should have been otherwise you can’t do selective restores of trashed images. Maybe some of Apertures preference files are corrupted.

Any other thoughts?

Cheers,
Peder

Peder's picture
by Peder
March 11, 2012 - 7:09pm

Hi Joseph,

I think I have solved the problem. After trying to Repair the Aperture Permissions and Repair the Database, Option+Command to open Aperture. Which still did not resolve the problem. So the question was, why did my test of a new cropped photo work. What to do, well I did deleted the Previews of the photos and then re-created them, and that seams to have fixed the problem.

You may want use this little process in your Mac Tips for Aperture.

Cheer, Peder

PS. Yes, I have signed up for for Newsletter

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
March 13, 2012 - 2:07am

Peder,

Thanks for the update. I would have actually recommended (and you may still want to do this) to disable iLife sharing entirely from Aperture, quit, relaunch, re-enable, and quit again. This trashes then rebuilds the database that is used for sharing.

I’ll add this to the FAQ actually, thanks.

oh and the suggestion to sign up for the newsletter is part of my signature, so it’s always there — and thanks ;-)

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
March 10, 2012 - 11:57pm

Peder,

It sounds like you’re not looking at your Aperture library in iTunes, since you’re not getting the right images synced and you’re not seeing the options on what albums to sync.

In Aperture, be sure that your Preferences under Sharing is set to Share previews with iLife and iWork either Always or When quitting Aperture [screenshot].

In iTunes, select your iPad, and then click the Photos tab. Enable Sync Photos From and choose Aperture. You should then be able to choose the entire library, or any album you like [screenshot].

If you’re doing all that correctly, but are still having issues, let us know.

@PhotoJoseph

James Beaumont's picture
by James Beaumont
May 7, 2012 - 8:05pm

I have the same problem. I have tried both the above suggestions (delete and re-gen previews, as well as disable iLife sharing, quit, re-launch, and re-enable sharing) and still my edits (just some cropping) do not make it onto my iPad - only the originals.
Anything else I can check?
Thanks.

James Beaumont's picture
by James Beaumont
May 7, 2012 - 8:23pm

I just removed the photos from my iPad, sync’d, then deleted the iPod Photo Cache folder within my Aperture package, and then re-sync’d all the photos. This time the edits got copied across. I really hope I don’t have to do this every time, it takes a while! Any better method for ensuring edits, not the master version, get copied to the iPad? Thanks.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
May 10, 2012 - 3:16am

James,

Sadly there are still many problems with syncing and it seems that rarely a single solution fixes it. I’m glad you were able to solve the problem, and clearing the cache is usually sufficient long term, but only time will tell.

-Joseph

@PhotoJoseph

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?