You are here

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Synching Aperture Library with ChronoSync? #1
Daniel Cox's picture
by Daniel Cox
October 22, 2012 - 11:55pm

I'm wondering if anyone has tried using ChronoSync or any other syncing program on their aperture Libraries. My reason for asking this question is my desire to take an Aperture Library on the road with me on my MacBook Pro, work on the library, then sync it to the same Library on my desktop system later. I've tried this exact idea with ChronoSync and all seems to work fine but would love to hear if others have tried the same and if so, did the library continue to work properly and as expected after synching has occurred?

Daniel J. Cox

gfsymon's picture
by gfsymon
October 23, 2012 - 12:38am

Aperture has library merging built-in.

Butch Miller's picture
by Butch Miller
October 23, 2012 - 3:09am

Joseph has a nice video explaining merging libraries that was posted very recently:

Multiple Mac Workflow

Walter Rowe's picture
by Walter Rowe
October 23, 2012 - 10:16pm

I use rsync (command line inside a Terminal window) to maintain backup copies of my master library disk. My master library has over 40,000 images and is a managed library. It works flawlessly. I keep my master and three backup copies on My Passport 1TB USB-powered drives. Two backups are always at my house. The master and one backup are always with me. These drives are inexpensive, provide USB3 speed, require no power except via USB, and are small and light.

In Finder go to /Applications/Utilities and open Terminal

# rsync -av –delete /path/to/masterLibrary /path/to/backupLibrary

Pretty simple and proven and comes free with OS X.

I also use the Library Merge capability. I currently have an Autumn 2012 library separate from my master library. As I capture and process new fall 2012 images in my Autumn 2012 library, I merge that library into my master library and then rsync the master to my backup copies. The Autumn 2012 library is compact and fast to work with for the season and can be deleted later when the season is over and all of the images and their updates have been merged into the master and backed up.

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness