You are here

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
Tethered shooting #1
David  Moore's picture
by David Moore
April 6, 2012 - 6:26am

I've been using AP Tethered now and am a little confused as to where the File numbering comes from. My older 1ds MarkIII untethered starts off with my initials which I set up on the back of the camera. Once tethered it switches to a typical IMG and four digits. Would luv to set the digits of the numbers I want to start with. Also I got duplicate numbers on some shots when I stopped and started the sessions into the same folder. Any wise words?

davidbmoore@mac.com
Twitter= @davidbmoore
Scottsdale AZ

Jon Roemer's picture
by Jon Roemer
April 10, 2012 - 11:12am

I have the same problem as David described in the fist post above. Whenever I tether Aperture names the files “IMG_XXXX”. I have “Master File Name” selected in the tether session but it does not matter. It always names the file “IMG_XXXX”.

I also tried making a custom naming preset, “Master File Name” - “Version Name”, just to see what would happen and the files come out “IMG_XXXX-IMG_XXXX.”

Is there anyway to reset the naming when tethered so that selecting “Master File Name” keeps the name created in the camera?

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
April 10, 2012 - 11:21am

Jon,

I’m not quite sure I see the problem. If you select Version Name: Master File Name in tethering, then that means that the version name will be set the same as the Master file name. The master file name is whatever your camera produces; usually something like IMG_1234.

If you build a custom preset Maser File Name - Version Name since you’re importing from the camera and it doesn’t yet have a Version Name, then it’s going to get the Master Name — so yes, you’ll have a duplicate name, as you described.

Your last paragraph says you want to set tethering so it keeps the name created in camera. But isn’t that what it’s doing; isn’t the camera creating a name of IMG_XXXX?

Or are you saying that you have your initials built into the file name too, but that’s getting removed?

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Jon Roemer's picture
by Jon Roemer
April 10, 2012 - 11:43am

Joseph-

The Master File Name should be the name as it is created in the camera. With the Canon professional cameras that’s either a Canon set code plus a four digit number or in the camera you can customize the file name.

For example, I shoot with multiple cameras so that I set the file name in the camera so it’s easy to tell each apart. Camera 1 = JR1_XXXX, Camera 2 = JR2_XXXX.

So, that is the Master File Name. If I shoot to a compact flash card that is how the files are saved.

If I shoot with the camera tethered to Aperture, with tethering set to “Master File Name”, the files get saved as “IMG_XXXX”.

So, yes to your last questions. Aperture disregards my naming and the numbering within the camera.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
April 10, 2012 - 11:56am

Jon,

Interesting. Im going to test this right now with my 1Ds Mk III. Give me a few minutes.

-Joseph

@PhotoJoseph

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
April 10, 2012 - 12:17pm

Jon (and David),

Color me silly… you are correct, sirs.

My camera is doing the same thing. I’d never noticed it because I rename my files on import and even though I do include the original file name, I’d never looked that closely (I don’t shoot tethered that often).

I looked back at the post I referenced above, from when the feature first came out, and looked closely at the screenshots. You can see that from the 5D Mk II screenshots in the import window that the images shot while tethered all have that same IMG_0001 naming (and no that camera was NOT brand new, so definitely those numbers aren’t right).

The camera must not be handing off the filename to the system, that’s the only thing I can think of.

How did it work with DPP? I’m not about to install that abomination on my system again to test it, I’m sorry to say. But if you’ve used it, do you know if it handled the name the way your’e expecting?

@PhotoJoseph

Jon Roemer's picture
by Jon Roemer
April 10, 2012 - 12:44pm

:-)

Yes, DPP can keep the naming as it is set in the camera and it works. So, at least within Canon’s software it is handing off the filename.

You also have the option to change the naming upon download based on a number of parameters (similar in that respect to Aperture’s Naming customizable presets.)

DPP also has other features when tethering:
-you can save to the card and to the computer
-*if you shoot raw + jpeg, you can opt to only tether one of the two to the computer
-the newest version of DPP is camera aware, e.g. if you unplug and replug the USB cable in, if you open the memory card door and close it, -> you don’t not have to re-start the tethering. It will automatically get itself going again.

*In high volume situations it can be helpful to shoot raw + jpeg. Save each to its own card in the camera and only tether the jpegs to the computer. That way you always have your raws and tethering the jpegs is super quick. An assistant can be checking focus on the laptop while you shoot without waiting for the raw files to fully encode on screen.

But, as you infer above, you are stuck with DPP, at least while you tether.

I prefer to tether in Aperture. I love the automatic backup function. But the renaming is a small issue. I also have had other issues - like Aperture saying some of the tethered files are not supported (with a warning thumbnail.) The files are always fine but it can raise an eyebrow with a client if it happens often.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
April 11, 2012 - 1:22am

Thanks for all the feedback Jon. Good to know for anyone serious about tethering!

-Joseph

@PhotoJoseph

Jon Roemer's picture
by Jon Roemer
April 11, 2012 - 6:19am

Quick follow-up: just spent the day shooting ~22 portraits, all tethered setups.

The “unsupported file” issue I mention above when tethered in Aperture may not be an Aperture issue. It may be an issue with my external HD (which Aperture was backing up to simultaneously.)

We did hit a couple of times when Aperture bogged down (we shot ~2100 frames throughout the day.) Where Aperture seemed to hang saying “importing”. The files had tethered and were transferred to the laptop but Aperture slowed to a halt bringing them in. Not sure of the cause - it wasn’t the external HD. We had unhooked it after it looked problematic.

Don’t know if the issue is tied into the MacBook Pro having two video cards and maybe it’s better to force it to use the better one? e.g. turn off automatic graphic switching in the sys pref energy saver pane?….

Any way, not sure. Force quitting Aperture and restarting the the tether was the way to get around it.

On the plus side - here’s where tethering raw files pays off -> in shooting so many people today we hit a few who had moire problems in their clothes. It happens even with a 22mp camera. Shooting raw you can see this where you might not shooting jpeg or if you did then you wouldn’t know if the cause is in the jpeg or the raw file. Shooting raw confirms what is going on.

David  Moore's picture
by David Moore
April 11, 2012 - 7:04am

Jon you described the exact trouble I was having. Aperture slowed down to import the images. I had to turn the camera and AP off. The images had been saved on the cameras card but never made it directly to AP. Usually shooting tethered, the image never goes to the card only the hard drive and backup. I use the gfxcardstatus app to use the faster processor on my MBP w 8 mg ram

davidbmoore@mac.com
Twitter= @davidbmoore
Scottsdale AZ

Jon Roemer's picture
by Jon Roemer
April 11, 2012 - 11:23am

David,

Actually, my images made it to the computer. But they didn’t make it into Aperture.

The camera’s buffer was cleared as well. So, hangup was between Aperture and the image folder on my MacBook Pro.

gfxcardstatus app -> have you found if it makes a difference to force the use of the faster gpu?

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
April 6, 2012 - 7:40am

David,

Check your version name setup in the tether settings. The camera should be sending files named as always (with your initials if you’ve set that in camera) but Aperture can rename on import, just as it does in the import window. You may have inadvertently turned on a sequential renaming preset?

Check the first few screenshots in this older post, Tethering Support in Aperture 3 Expanded in OS X 10.6.4 Update, Includes Canon EOS 1Ds Mk III and 5D Mk II (and more).

@PhotoJoseph

David  Moore's picture
by David Moore
April 8, 2012 - 12:06am

Thanks Joseph! I think your right, I messed up. Is there a limit to the size of a project? At the end of the day of shooting into the same project AP tethered starts getting slow and weird. I reboot and its ok for awhile. My lib is 77gb on a separated volume of 200Gb on the main HD. When home I relocate master to the drobo.

davidbmoore@mac.com
Twitter= @davidbmoore
Scottsdale AZ

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
April 8, 2012 - 2:32am

David,

No, there’s no way to tell Aperture to automatically start filling another project, if that’s what you mean. But switching the tether destination to another project just takes a second. If you’re getting slowdowns, then I’d say just create a few projects at the start of the shoot, then occasionally move the tether to that project.

How many photos are you pushing in when you see this slowdown?

@PhotoJoseph

Jeff Ellis's picture
by Jeff Ellis
October 29, 2012 - 9:31pm

You all have brought up an issue that’s bothered me since going from AP2 to 3.
With Aperture 2 when I tethered the images were written to both the card on camera and to my laptop. Since v3 it only writes to computer, bypassing the cards.

Is there a way to get it to write to both again? Make me nevous to have the whole shoot written only to hard drive. I really valued the backup on card a d computer.
Obviously I can hook up an external drive to backup, but still like it on the card until job is safe at home.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
October 30, 2012 - 3:00am

Jeff,

Tethered shooting came with Aperture 3, so if you were tethering in Aperture 2 you were probably using Canon’s software in conjunction with Aperture Hot Folder. Canon’s software is where you could choose the have the image saved to the card as well. AFAIK there’s no way to do this in Aperture 3 directly, although I could be wrong — I rarely use the feature.

@PhotoJoseph

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness