You are here

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Thunderbolt 2 #1
dusansmetana's picture
by dusansmetana
January 19, 2014 - 2:43am

I was wondering what would be the best way to transfer my Aperture vault  size 1.23T from external hard drive that supports only USB 2 via latest MacBook Pro Retina ( supports the Thunderbolt 2)

into the PROMISE Pegasus2 R4 8TB (4 by 2TB) Thunderbolt 2 RAID System ?

Drag and drop is showing 12 days and it’s working very slow…..Thank you  dusan

Rafael - MyDarkroom.ca's picture
by Rafael - MyDarkroom.ca
January 19, 2014 - 6:28am

Before trying anything, do you have the data on that external hard disk backed up somewhere? 

If so, you could disassemble the drive and mount it on a USB3 enclosure or perhaps use one of these from OWChttp://eshop.macsales.com/shop/NewerTech/Voyager/Hard_Drive_Dock

Hope that helps

Raf

TattooedMac's picture
by TattooedMac
January 19, 2014 - 9:10am

Transferring 1.2TB of precious Data via Drag and Drop, from a Ext HD, into a Mac and out into a RAID setup, your asking for trouble. ie: Data Corruption. I have seen it many times before, like around 1TB iTunes Libraries. Be careful, and if you can, use something like CCC or Super Duper and BackUp the Library, not Transfer. But if you do need to go this way, Raf above, has given a link to a good suggestion, OR buy a USB3 Ext HD as they are cheap as chips these days, and you will have up to triple the transfer speed, and less opportunity for Data Corruption.

Raf above has given you a Link to a way to do it, but means pulling apart the Ext HD and putting into the convertor.

__ __ __ __ __ __ __ __
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunnelling through a mountain with your forehead.
"Can't innovate any more, my ass" Phil Schiller

dusansmetana's picture
by dusansmetana
January 19, 2014 - 4:50pm

Well, it worked. It seems that first 1.4 G is very fast then it comes to a slow speed but eventually it speeds up.  I think it took between  7-9 hours to copy the entire vault library to Pegasus.

Now, the next issue is that the old vault library was used/backed up with the old Aperture 3.2.4 and my new MacPro is running 3.5.1.   My old MacPro can’t be upgraded due to an old operating system.

Is there a fix for this? Thank you for your help.

Rolf Schmolling's picture
by Rolf Schmolling
January 20, 2014 - 4:26pm

well, if you look into the faq and do a search on “vaults and restore” you’ll find several options how best to work with a vault. To sum up:

1) make a backup of the vault (e.g. duplicate)

2) change the extension of the vault to turn it into a library (it is basically a copy of your library with vault-extension)

3) open it up from the new version of Aperture, it will be converted. 

Note: you will not be able to access the newly converted library from your old MacPro. It seems there is no workaround. 

Regards, Rolf

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness