You are here

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Timemachine /Aperture failure #1
Kenny Poulsen's picture
by Kenny Poulsen
December 9, 2011 - 11:51pm

Aperture seems to conflicts with the timemachine. If timemachine is trying to make backup, but the backup disk is not present, aperture hangs or cannot start, showing a message that Aperture is waiting on timemachine. If i then connects the backup disk, timemachine fails to do the backup.. Not perticular safe when aperture hangs and forced quit is needed.
Any ideas ?

Jim Bailey's picture
by Jim Bailey
December 10, 2011 - 12:26pm

I wouldnt even mess with Time Machine; I find it kind of freaky (but then I recently switched from PC). Instead, get a 1gb minimum portable H/D and set up/run an Aperture vault.

Kenny Poulsen's picture
by Kenny Poulsen
December 10, 2011 - 5:58pm

Well, thats what i am doing. I have my picture folder (includes the aperture library) as not to be backed up by time machine.
Anyhow, timemachine is still making problems related to use of Aperture.

Tom Carroll's picture
by Tom Carroll
December 11, 2011 - 12:19am

I’m going to take the other side of this one. I’ve been using TimeMachine successfully for years with zero problems. Recently, I hooked up a 2 TB Western Digital external hard drive off ISB port dedicated to TimeMachine backing up a 700 hundred horsepower iMac running Lion. I back up the iMac internal 250 MB SSD drive (where Aperture libraries reside) and the 2 TB iMac hard drive where only photos reside. I’ve used AP 3.2.1 and now AP 3.2.2 with about 20,000 photos and zero problems. I leave the Western Digital drive plugged in and turned on continuously (I turn off the iMac each night). TimeMachine has been a life saver on several occasions recently as I have clobbered some referenced photo directories. I would highly recommend Time Machine to back up Aperture and any Apple operating system. In fact, I used Time Machine to populate a new iMac from on old iMac. All applications came across no problem. I have restored over 10 GB of photos from Time Machine to the iMac no problem. I have not, however, restored my Aperture library to the internal 250 MB SSD drive (only because I have not screwed up the library yet). But I have ever confidence that it will work fine — no problem.

Tom Carroll

Kenny Poulsen's picture
by Kenny Poulsen
December 11, 2011 - 5:45pm

Yes, fully agree, time machine have also been helpful to me a number of times :-)
But this does not solve this problem.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
December 13, 2011 - 6:29am

KP,

I haven’t seen this issue myself, and I keep my Time Machine drive off during the day and only fire it up once or twice a week. When Time Machine does try to run, and doesn’t find the drive (which presumably is hourly?), I don’t see any messages in Aperture.

Is it possible some of your Masters are located on the Time Machine drive; like maybe once when you imported photos, the Time Machine drive was accidentally selected?

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?