You are here

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Transfer to new MacBook and referenced files #1
downunder exposures's picture
by downunder exposures
July 13, 2012 - 9:39am

Greetings. Can you please outline the steps you would take to transfer an iPhoto (40G) and Aperture (80G) library to a new MacBook Pro (Retina) resulting in a unified library and referenced files. I thought I could just copy the Libraries from the old MacBook to the ext hard drive and open them from there, then relocate Masters and bring the Libraries the rest of the way to the MacBook. Aperture won't open the library “the file system of the library'e volume is unsupported”

downunderexposures

Walter Rowe's picture
by Walter Rowe
July 16, 2012 - 11:58pm

Also select the drive icon on your desktop and use COMMAND-I to bring up the Info on the drive. Look at the very bottom at permissions to make sure you have read/write access.

Jan Vojtek's picture
by Jan Vojtek
July 13, 2012 - 9:20pm

Hi there;

I do not know if your libraries are managed or referenced, but assuming they are managed (originals are in the library), I would do the following:
1) on your old Mac update both iPhoto and Aperture to the latest version, the libraries will then be updated to the latest version.
2) Move both iPhoto and Aperture libraries to your MBPwRD
3) Open Aperture and import iPhoto library into Aperture library (I assume these libraries do not contain the same photos, otherwise you might end up with duplicates)
4) This action above should result in you having one managed Aperture library
5) Relocate originals from Aperture to your preferred location - thus created a referenced library.
6) When you confirm that all your iPhoto data is correctly in Aperture library, you can delete the iPhoto library

Make sure that you back up your data before doing all of this and that you verify that the backups work.

Since the latest versions of iPhoto and Aperture libraries can be opened in both softwares, you should also be fine keeping both of the libraries and just opening them with the software which you need.

Walter Rowe's picture
by Walter Rowe
July 13, 2012 - 10:31pm

What is the format of the filesystem of the external drive? It must be HFS+.

by downunder exposures
July 14, 2012 - 2:23pm

Thanks Jan, That all seems to make sense. Now that I have both libraries on the Toshiba 1TB external drive, I will transfer them to the MBP+RD and see if Aperture opens the library. If not perhaps I will do a more direct transfer - somehow. Yes the libraries have been managed up to this point. I don’t think I have a significant amount of duplicates but that has prompted me to check thank you.

Walter, I am not too familiar with file systems. When I got the drive we partitioned and chose GUID as advised and MAC OS Extended journaled). Cant see an option for HFS

downunderexposures

Michael Ball's picture
by Michael Ball
July 14, 2012 - 5:14pm

Mac OS Extended is the same as HFS+, so you should be OK there. If you’re having problem it might work to try to repair the drive using Disk Utility. Otherwise, if you have the space, temporarily copying files to the new MBP should work as well. As long as you don’t do anything to modify the library folder, then everything should be good!

by downunder exposures
July 14, 2012 - 9:16pm

Thanks Michael,
Libraries are on their way to MBP via USB3 while I have a cup of green tea.
Richard

downunderexposures

by downunder exposures
July 19, 2012 - 5:07am

Not enough disc space! I’ll have to trim the libraries. There is plenty there I don’t want.

downunderexposures

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?