You are here

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Transfering files to be printout #1
MAURICE OROZCO's picture
by MAURICE OROZCO
March 22, 2011 - 5:31am

After the file has been processed ( applying definition, adjustments, sharpness, etc ), what is the proper JPEG format to choose ( from the export preset dropping arrow list ) to printout a picture without loosing too much of resolution ?
There are 4 JPEG options : JPEG original size, JPEG 50% of original size, JPEG fit within 1024 x 1024 and JPEG fit within 640 x 640 !!
I will use Ritz Camera printers or Walmart / Walgreens / CVS to do my printouts.
Thank you so much for your help !!

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
March 22, 2011 - 6:47am

Maurice,

In general, you want to provide as much information as possible to the printer. However given that you’re printing at places like Ritz, I’m afraid if you output too high of a resolution file, you may choke the printers there.

The maximum resolution needed completely depends on your desired print size. Let’s say you want to print at 8”x10”.

300 ppi (pixels per inch) is more than enough for any printer, and probably for those printers you’d be fine calculating at 166 ppi or even 133 ppi. But for the sake of this discussion, let’s say that you’re going for 300 ppi.

An 8-inch by 10-inch photo at 300 pixels per inch means you want 8x300=2400 pixels by 10x300=3000 pixels.

You could create your own preset and set it to JPEG fit within 3000 x 3000 and you’ll be all set for that size print.

Worth noting: You didn’t say what resolution camera you’re working with, so if the original files aren’t more than 3,000 pixels wide, don’t do any resizing, and just export at 100%.

Using the calculations above, you could set up presets for 4x6 prints, or any other size you want.

If you want to get more specific, you could find out from the store what is the optimum resolution for their printer. But you may get a blank stare in return.

Or, make your life really easy, spend a little more money and order all the photos from Aperture’s built-in print ordering system. You can order at any size you like, without ever leaving your desk, and have the prints mailed to you directly. And while I haven’t done any price comparison to the likes of Ritz or CVS, I can’t imagine they are they much cheaper. Plus you don’t have to hassle with any of this.

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

MAURICE OROZCO's picture
by MAURICE OROZCO
March 23, 2011 - 6:04am

“Or, make your life really easy, spend a little more money and order all the photos from Aperture’s built-in print ordering system.”

How do you do what you are saying above ? In the meantime, I am using a D300, I do shoot in RAW, manual and I want to burn some pictures to a CD to be printout but I don’t know what is the best JPEG format to choose from to have the best resolution out there ( in my printouts ). However, if there is an option in Aperture ( as you said above ) that allow me to order those printouts from my desk, by all means, can you please tell me how to order that please ?
Thank you so much for your help.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
March 23, 2011 - 7:01am

Maurice,

Simply select the photos you want to print, and choose the menu File > Order Prints. You’ll get a dialog like this one: [screenshot].

There could be a geographic limitation; according to Apple’s website, “Aperture print products are available in the U.S., Canada, Japan, and select countries in Europe and Asia Pacific.”. However since you mentioned Ritz, Walgreens, etc., I’m going to assume you’re in the US.

You can also order entire books the same way. Design your book using the built-in Book tool (menu File > New > Book) and order from the built in “buy” button.

Couldn’t be easier!
-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?