You are here

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
Transition from Iphoto question #1
Matt Sandford's picture
by Matt Sandford
July 10, 2010 - 10:29am

I have recently moved from Iphoto to Aperture 3, I decided to use the Iphoto images as referenced files in AP3 …my plan is to delete all the images that I don’t really want in AP3 (leaving the masters files intact) and when finished physically move all the remaining images across to a new AP3 library…is there an easy way to bring all these files across ? Am i going about this the right way …..or would it be easier to just move all the images in the first place , the library is about 50gig

After I feel happy about the new move I eventually plan to delete Iphoto and its library

Thanks Matt

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
July 10, 2010 - 1:50pm

Matt,

I think you’re off to the right start. It may not be necessary to move your remaining images to a new Aperture library, but that can be a good way to get a clean start once you’ve whittled down the images, so I won’t talk you out of it ;-)

It’s actually quite easy. Select the Projects that you want to export, and choose File > Export > Items as New Library. From there you’ll have options, including “Consolidate masters into exported library”. Since you’re browsing an iPhoto library, I’d definitely check that box. Then you’ll have a new Library with all your photos self contained. (You may need to export this to a separate drive as it will take quite a bit of space until you’re able to delete the old iPhoto library.)

Once you’ve done that, you’ll need to decide how to manage your masters. I suggest reading up on the topic in the first several tips in the eBook ApertureExpert’s 15 Tips on File Management in Aperture 3.

good luck, and welcome to Aperture!
-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness