You are here

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Two browsers open #1
David Heylen's picture
by David Heylen
October 30, 2012 - 8:03pm

Hello!

In the Aperture manual says that working with two or more browsers open, you can set different display options for each panel, easily copy or transfer content between project easily. I tried to, but it is impossible, how can you do?

The Aperture Manual say this:

When you select an item in the Library inspector and then Option-click a second item, Aperture splits the Browser into two panes and shows thumbnails for both items. You can select images in either pane and see the selections in the Viewer. You can also set different display options for each pane. For example, one pane may show images in grid view and the other in list view. You may find that working with multiple Browser panes open allows you to easily copy or transfer the contents of one item in the Library inspector to another. You can also open multiple items in the Library inspector and display their contents in a single Browser.

David Heylen's picture
by David Heylen
October 31, 2012 - 4:47am

Indeed, I open two browsers with the key “option +” but then it is impossible to copy, move or cut images between the two Windows of project. And also, in this version already cannot be, for example, different sizes of thumbnails or views in browsers, now both show the same.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
October 31, 2012 - 10:42am

David,

OK some things do appear to no longer work, but I’m getting some to work as expected.

From the manual you quoted…

“You can also set different display options for each pane. For example, one pane may show images in grid view and the other in list view.”

This appears to be broken. If you switch one to list, the other goes too. That’s a bummer.

“You may find that working with multiple Browser panes open allows you to easily copy or transfer the contents of one item in the Library inspector to another.”

Hm, this seems vague… you can’t drag from one tabbed browser to another, that is true. Not sure if you used to be able to or not. But what I think the manual is saying is that you can drag into the Project in the Library inspector (that’s the key), not into the open tab itself. Which does seem like a silly limitation, to be honest.

“You can also open multiple items in the Library inspector and display their contents in a single Browser.”

This is simply referring to shift- or command-clicking on multiple Projects to see their contents in one Browser window, as if the images were all in one Project.

Then you said:

“And also, in this version already cannot be, for example, different sizes of thumbnails or views in browsers, now both show the same.”

I can display thumbnails (grid view) in different sizes. When I first click on the thumbnail view, they do appear at the same size, but then I can use the size slider to change them. See this [screenshot].

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

David Heylen's picture
by David Heylen
October 31, 2012 - 7:53pm

So I understand that there are certain limitations. Thanks for your reply, it clears my doubts and I do not eat more than the head.

gfsymon's picture
by gfsymon
October 30, 2012 - 11:29pm

I think you’re misunderstanding. It doesn’t mean 2 separate browser windows. It’s talking about ‘panes’ within the Aperture browser window. If you option-click a second project or album etc. when viewing the browser, you will see a split appear, giving you now 2 browsers, but within the same Aperture window. It is indeed useful for moving stuff around etc.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
October 31, 2012 - 12:42am

David,

Read this article to understand exactly how this feature works: “Aperture Has Tabs—Easily Compare Projects”

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?