You are here

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
underexposed images #1
Robin Clark's picture
by Robin Clark
March 20, 2012 - 4:10am

Hi, Today I mistakenly moved my exposure compensation dial and took a bunch of images at -1.33. Is there any “rule” in Aperture of how much to adjust the exposure slider by to compensate for such an underexposure? Indeed is exposure the right slider? Is it as simple as the number on the slider bar represents f stops?

And just to make matters worse I shot in JPG only!

Here's hoping….

Robin

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
March 20, 2012 - 4:16am

Robin,

Yes, the exposure slider is the one you want, and for the most part +1/–1 on the slider is equal to +1/–1 stops. You can batch process apply +1.33 to all images (do it on one, then lift/stamp to the rest), and then adjust invididually from there if needed.

It’s unfortunate that the photos are JPG though… the increase in exposure certainly won’t be as good as if they were RAW. Sorry :(

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Thomas Boyd's picture
by Thomas Boyd
March 20, 2012 - 4:26am

I would start with Exposure and then fine tune the adjustment adjustment in Curves just so I can see what’s happening better. Keep a close eye on shadows. You don’t want them getting too noisy or chalky.

If they do, you might want to either use Curves to add density to the shadow or adjust the black point.

The content will determine if this is too much of a problem. If there are large areas of shadow or people wearing dark clothes, you’ll have problems.

Robin Clark's picture
by Robin Clark
March 20, 2012 - 5:15am

Thank you Joseph and Thomas for your very quick replies. Some of the images are not able to take the full +1.33 adjustment as they are only JPGs and as you suggest Thomas have become too noisy and chalky (good word that!) - particularly in the sky.

Lesson learned for today - check the camera setting before putting brain into gear!

The reason I’m still working with JPGs is that the 60D is still new to me and I’m wanting to learn the camera before moving on to bigger and better things.

Many thanks for you help.

Robin

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness