You are here

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Understanding Brushes with Auto Enhance #1
Patricia Hansen's picture
by Patricia Hansen
June 18, 2012 - 6:49pm

My question is to do with the new Auto Enhance button. I understand that this function assesses the image and then decides which of the five features it will use to enhance the image. What I'm unsure about is the brushing in of the various effects - lets say 3 out of the 5 possibles was used. I don't see 'one' brush that brushes in all 3 edits. So…I assume that each effect gets brushed in separately. If this is the case, what would be a good workflow – the first effect used or even randomly. Also, brushing in confuses me further given that each effect when brushed in is actually creating an overlay (mask)–if I understand this correctly. Then the next effect to brush in would sit overtop of the last mask. Perhaps this is fine, and I need not be concerned. But I would sure like to understand this concept a little better, I would appreciate anyone shedding some light on this. Thanks.

Patricia Hansen

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
June 19, 2012 - 2:21am

Patricia,

You’re on the right track, and no it doesn’t really matter what order you work in, although if you want to be diligent about it, go from the top down (first to last). But really it just depends on what it is you want to brush in and out.

Each adjustment has its own completely independent mask/brush. There is no way to globally brush through all effects, nor is there a way to copy/paste a mask from one adjustment to another (a limitation we all hope will be addressed eventually).

In brief, the way the brushes work are, as you guessed, as masks. Think of it like this. When you make an adjustment, you are actually adjusting a second layer of that photo. If you brush that effect away, you’re creating a mask between the adjusted and the original image. The effects are applied in top-down order you see them in the Adjustments tab.

You may want to watch the Live Training Session 015: Adjustments; Dodge & Burn (& how brushes work) for an in-depth understanding of the concept.

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Patricia Hansen's picture
by Patricia Hansen
June 20, 2012 - 4:46am

Thanks for the clarification on ‘brushing in’. I’m pleased that as a newbie I’ve grasped at least the essence of the feature. I’ll be heading over to the Live TS 015 very soon.
Also, thanks for a great webinar on Nik software today – wish it could have been longer as there is so much to learn. It won’t be long before I add the two pieces of software you demonstrated to my kit bag.

Thanks again.
Patricia

Patricia Hansen

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?