You are here

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Updating Nik Plugins #1
David Jenkins's picture
by David Jenkins
February 12, 2014 - 12:03pm

Hi there,

I am about to install the Google version of Nik plugins.  I’ve had the old one installed for a number of years and am loathe to change if I’m going to run into problems.

So just before I press the ok button,  

Is there any tips, or workarounds or things to be aware of if I upgrade the Nik Google?

I am aware of saving recipes and reinstalling them.

I’m just fearful of having to waste precious hours trying to get them to work properly again.

Thanks 

David

Charles Putnam's picture
by Charles Putnam
February 12, 2014 - 3:20pm

NikGoogle finally (!!!) fixed the bugs that were occurring in Aperture .  I’d suggest uninstalling the older versions first, to avoid any problems/conflicts that might happen. 

That said, the latest version of the plugins rock!

smb's picture
by smb
February 13, 2014 - 6:56pm

When I changed over, I emailed NIK. They were very helpful and sent me a link that installed everything over top of the old NIK.

Have not had one single problem.

(Except, when I right click an image to go to Plug-ins, I can’t get rid of the old Nik names, so I have both old and new titles.)

Stan
sbysshe.smugmug.com

Jeff's picture
by Jeff
February 13, 2014 - 8:50pm

What is your version #?  I am at 1.1.1.0 on Color Efex Pro 4

smb's picture
by smb
February 14, 2014 - 6:05am

That is what I have now. Plus all the others in the complete package.

Stan
sbysshe.smugmug.com

David Jenkins's picture
by David Jenkins
February 14, 2014 - 7:19am

Thanks for the insights.  

I got a great response from the Nik team, and a couple of good links explaining how to deinstall, and that all seemed to go well.  
I’ve had Dfine as a separate plugin way back to the early days of Aperture 2.  So it stayed in its own directory, but didn’t get  double billing in the plugin pull down sheet.  Someone has really done their homework on this.

Then I installed the new Collection.  It goes into a new directory anyway.  What had me partly concerned was the removal of any of those hidden files that Nik seemed so intent on using in the past. 

Opened up AP3 sent an image to the plug-ins and all worked just as I’d want to.  Pretty happy as I was contemplating a loss of work time trying to figure out how to make it all work.  Wish that Nik had done it this way  a long time ago, rather than the jumping hoops I’ve had to do with installing new versions or changing computers. 

Happy little Aperture user again.

David

My Color Efex Pro 4 says it is 1.1.1.0.

I can’t say enough about the excellent customer service and help I got from Nik.  

Jeff's picture
by Jeff
February 15, 2014 - 3:36am

Those updates were from December David, and they are still broken for me.  Viveza 2 requires me to launch it 4 separate times to get the image from Aperture to pull up in Viveza.  HDR efex will not save an image back to Aperture.  I have to save tiff to my desktop then import.

You are talking about updates that are 2 months old :)  

smb's picture
by smb
February 17, 2014 - 11:41pm

Glad they helped. I found the service to be excellent as well. 

Stan
sbysshe.smugmug.com

David's picture
by David
February 18, 2014 - 9:25am

Jeff,

Sorry to hear you are having problems. I have just updated to the latest versions and all is well with my installation. The irritating problem of having to launch plugins serval times seems to have disappeared for me - but not for everyone by the sound of it :-( . 

I was delighted to have received the new Analog Pro Plugin for free as part of this update. That and the update to Snapseed on iOS a few months ago seems to quash suggestions that Google wont be actively developing the Nik suite.

David

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness