You are here

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Upgraded to 3.3: Levels or Curves adjustments have changed for random images #1
Jason's picture
by Jason
July 6, 2012 - 5:44am

I upgraded from version 3.2.4 to 3.3 and afterwards I re-enabled Faces since I had it off previously. I noticed that about 5-10% of the thumbnails appeared corrupted (looks like a staticy TV screen?) or simply wrong (thumbnails shown doesn’t match the version displayed). Additionally, random photos for which I’ve previously applied adjustments have changed. In some cases it appears that in the Curves adjustment, a point on the curve has been added in the far upper left corner. In others, all 5 of the sliders on the bottom of the Levels brick have slid all the way to the left. As you can imagine, in both cases the pictures look like crap.

It appears to random since this phenomena shows up in just a couple photos in a series of pictures I know I used Lift/Stamp to apply the same set of adjustments for a project. I haven’t yet dug too deep into this since I’m tied up with rebuilding all 39,900 thumbnails. I just wanted to see if anyone here has seen this behavior before.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Jason

I’m running 10.7.4 on an old 2008 vintage MacbookPro with only 4GB ram. Library is a mix of managed and referenced images.

David  Moore's picture
by David Moore
July 6, 2012 - 6:17am

I have seen bad thumb nails before. One of two reasons I know, Corrupted files usually. Click on one and in AP file….Show in Finder. Open it in ps if you have, it and make some change and save it, close it, and then look in aperture and generate new thumbnail. hopefully that will work. Did you work on these files in a external photo editing program? Some idiots like me use to save extra alpha channels for masks and that too would cause the thumbnails to be corrupted. If the above doesn’t work remove them and reimport from a backup.

davidbmoore@mac.com
Twitter= @davidbmoore
Scottsdale AZ

Jason's picture
by Jason
July 6, 2012 - 6:33am

No, I don’t do any external editing. I already rooted around in the Aperture Library file and deleted the ‘Thumbnails’ folder to force their regeneration. That only took 3 days! Anyways, after that most of the thumbnails are fixed and the ones that aren’t are easily fixable with the menu command.

It’s the Curves/Levels problem that is throwing me. I don’t understand how the program would arbitrarily change one file but leave the next one alone. This will be a more time consuming fix because I have to re-edit each one.

David  Moore's picture
by David Moore
July 6, 2012 - 8:38am

Jason have you repaired and rebuilt the lib with AP? Very strange with the curves and levels never seen that before. Sorry not much help!

davidbmoore@mac.com
Twitter= @davidbmoore
Scottsdale AZ

Jason's picture
by Jason
July 6, 2012 - 8:52am

I’ve repaired but not rebuilt. I’ve also exported a Project that had affected files as a Library and imported it into new libraries on my laptop and a desktop with the same result.

I’ll try rebuilding the library now.

Jason's picture
by Jason
July 9, 2012 - 10:15pm

It looks like rebuilding the library fixes my problems….sort of.

After the rebuild I can select a problematic photo in the viewer and as it renders it fixes itself. It seems to “remember” the proper curves or levels settings and displays correctly. And then sometimes, it will also update the thumbnail as well. However if I select a group of pictures and try to updated previews, Aperture thinks that they are already up to date, so no refresh occurs. So the next step for me is to select each affected image in the viewer, wait for it to refresh and then regenerate the thumbnail if needed.

I’m in much better shape, just not wholly fixed yet. Thanks DBmoore for reminding me to rebuild.

David  Moore's picture
by David Moore
July 9, 2012 - 10:43pm

Jason Try holding the option key after selecting the menu Photo. The choices change for preview to Generate Preview from the standard Update Preview. Cheers

davidbmoore@mac.com
Twitter= @davidbmoore
Scottsdale AZ

Jason's picture
by Jason
July 10, 2012 - 8:10am

Yeah I’ve already tried the option key trick and it still fails to generate proper previews for these files. Weird. The only way I’ve found to get it done is to view each image one at a time.

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?