You are here

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
upgrading face tiles #1
Jim Stackhouse's picture
by Jim Stackhouse
October 1, 2010 - 10:20am

Every time I open Aperture I get a message in the status bar at the bottom that says “Upgrading face tiles…”. This goes on for several minutes. If I view the activity window it says “Face Tile Upgrade” in the Activity Column and “Upgrading face tiles for database” in the Description column. The status column increments by 1% slowly. Takes about 5 minutes to get to 100%.

Is it supposed to do this every time I open Aperture?

Jim

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
October 3, 2010 - 12:10am

Jim,

Short answer—NO. It’s not supposed to do that every time.

Have you tried the standard “fix everything” routine yet; launch Aperture holding down Command-Option keys, and rebuilding/repairing the database? If not, go through that first.

If that doesn’t solve the problem, you can start Faces all over again and see if that fixes it (although it may not be worth it for you, depending on how much time you’ve invested in customizing Faces).

I offer the following suggestion with a big, fat, warning label.

// THE FOLLOWING SHOULD ONLY BE PERFORMED BY THE WILLING, THE DARING, AND THOSE WITH A REALLY GOOD BACKUP STRATEGY. THIS IS LIKE WORKING ON YOUR CAR ENGINEWORK BEST LEFT TO THE PROFESSIONAL //

If you have read the above at least three times, and have backed up your library five minutes ago (preferably with a Finder copy, so it’s really easy to go back to instantly), you may want to consider poking around inside the Aperture Library package.

Quite Aperture. Right-click on the Aperture Library, and choose Show Package Contents. Inside the Databases folder, you’ll see a file Faces.db. Delete that, close the Package, and re-launch Aperture.

Your entire Faces database will be gone. You may see some odd UI behavior (I saw a large progress bar in the middle of the first-time-user-of-Faces interface), but leave it alone and let Aperture rebuild the database. Once it’s done, you’ll be looking at a completely new Faces setup; ALL faces will have to be re-identified, re-named, etc. It’ll be like using Faces for the first time.

And because you just backed up, if you find that this was a Bad Idea™, then you can just throw this Library away and go back to your previous one.

// THE ABOVE SHOULD ONLY BE PERFORMED BY THE WILLING, THE MILDLY INSANE, AND THOSE WITH A REALLY GOOD BACKUP STRATEGY. THIS IS LIKE PERFORMING SURGERY ON YOURSELFWORK BEST DONE BY A TRAINED PROFESSIONAL, OR THE CAST OF LOST //

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Jim Stackhouse's picture
by Jim Stackhouse
October 3, 2010 - 3:29am

Thanks for the suggestions. I will start with the rebuild/repair. Unfortunately when I launch Aperture while holding Command and Option keys, I don’t see the expected rebuild/repair options. Aperture just loads normally (actually all my other active programs become hidden in the dock??? - the same result as the keyboard shortcut Command - Option - H). Maybe I have a keyboard mapping issue but I can’t figure out how to fix it. I looked at keyboard preferences but I don’t see anything obvious.

btw - If I just hold the option key when launching Aperture I do get the list of Aperture libraries to choose from.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
October 3, 2010 - 4:03pm

Jim,

That’s weird… so what happens when you Command-tab to switch applications? Command-Q to Quit? Command-W to Close? Does your Command key not work for anything, anywhere?

Are both Command keys doing this, or just one?

@PhotoJoseph

Jim Stackhouse's picture
by Jim Stackhouse
October 4, 2010 - 6:13am

The command key seems to work just fine. All those combinations work fine. I tried using a different keyboard and I had the same problem. It is weird.

In Aperture you can easily determine what keyboard shortcuts use a particular key. I don’t see anything like that for Mac OSX. I can only guess that ‘Option Command clicking an App icon’ has been remapped to ‘Hide all but current application’. But I can’t find where I would see that keyboard shortcut defined (so I could remove it). It is not in keyboard shortcuts in the Keyboard pref pane.

Is there any other way to initiate a rebuild/repair database? Do you think I could use Applescript? I have used Applescript a little.

Thanks again,
Jim

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
October 4, 2010 - 4:57pm

Jim,

That’s very bizarre. I can’t think of how you could remap the command key just for Aperture, especially in such a way that it is activated before it even launches (as evident by the fact that if you launch with command-option held down, you don’t get the rebuild dialog).

The place in the OS where you can configure custom keyboard shortcuts is in System Preferences > Keyboard > Keyboard Shortcuts. Select Application Shortcuts and see if Aperture is listed and anything odd is in there. Also look around in the rest of them I suppose for anything odd.

Let’s solve this problem before looking for a way to force a rebuild. This command key issue is not Aperture-database related, IMHO.

@PhotoJoseph

Jim Stackhouse's picture
by Jim Stackhouse
October 4, 2010 - 11:22pm

Joseph,
I looked at the keyboard shortcuts and found nothing unusual. I even restored the defaults.

I did find someone on the Apple discussion board that has the exact same issue - unfortunately it doesn’t appear to be solved (yet - fingers crossed):
http://discussions.apple.com/message.jspa?messageID=12374302#12374302

Thanks again for your help,
Jim

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
October 5, 2010 - 6:31pm

Jim,

Curious indeed. I looked a little deeper and from what I can tell, the Command key isn’t being ignored, so apologies on leading you down that path. Holding down Command-Option on any app launch will hide the other running apps, so that is working correctly. The problem is simply that the rebuild options aren’t being presented.

I checked the AppleScript dictionary, and couldn’t find any hooks in there to trigger a rebuild.

This is a long shot, but try resetting all warnings in Aperture. Click the button at Preferences > General > Reset All Warnings and then relaunch with Command-Option held down, see if that does anything different.

Also, try launching with just Option held down so it brings up the Library Chooser. Then hold down both Command-Option while clicking the Choose button; see if that invokes the repair dialog (it does if things are working normally).

Let’s take it from there.

@PhotoJoseph

Jim Stackhouse's picture
by Jim Stackhouse
October 5, 2010 - 10:39pm

Joseph,
Thanks for your continued assistance. I think we are getting closer.
- reset warnings didn’t seem to do anything (except bring back the welcome to apeture screen)
- holding command-option from the library chooser didn’t work either

BUT
I tried opening a small test aperture library. The option-command keys WORKED on this other library. I did get to the First Aid screen. I was able to rebuild, repair on this database.

So it appears that there is a problem with my main library.

I do have a couple of vaults that I could restore and see if they will work. My library has about 13,000 images so it would take a long time to restore. Any other ideas before I try that?

Jim

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
October 6, 2010 - 5:03pm

Jim,

Good to hear you have a backup. However this problem could go back to your backup since it wasn’t necessarily an obvious issue, so that may not help. But it’s good to know we have that option.

I did a little more digging into the package itself. I tested this on a small (really small) library here, and it worked, so I’m gonna suggest you try this. But this absolutely, unequivocally, requires that you work from a copy of your library. Having a Vault or Time Machine backup isn’t enough… I don’t care how big it is, if you have to go out and buy a new drive to make a copy of your library too, do NOT proceed until you have a backup, m’kay?

I figured that since what we’re trying to do is rebuild the library, perhaps we could delete some kind of library file entirely, and let Aperture rebuild it from nothing. Turns out there is such a file. If you open the package, and open the Database folder, you’ll see a file called Library.apdb. Delete that, close the package, and double-click the Library to open it. It will tell you that there’s a problem with the Library, and the only option is to Quit. That’s good… now, double-click again but hold Command-Option. This should give you the rebuild options.

On my tiny test library, this was successful and my test Projects, Albums, etc. were all in place.

Here’s the thing… I have NO idea what kind of lasting effects this might have. There may be some irretrievable data in that Library.apdb file that we’ve just deleted that you won’t discover right away. I really don’t know or have any way of predicting what might happen. So this is a big experiment, but since it’s so easy to work from a backup—I say go for it.

good luck,
-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph

Jim Stackhouse's picture
by Jim Stackhouse
October 7, 2010 - 10:54am

Joseph,
let me update you on this saga
I copied the library and deleted the file you suggested. When I reopened the library I did get the error message about a problem with the library and quit. When I tried the command option to restart I got the same message about problem with the library and had to quit. So this didn’t solve the problem..

the problem gets even more interesting here -
this problem all started about the same time that I spending some focused time learning how to use the Nik filters I had bought a few months ago. I was using Aperture a lot and that is when I noticed the “Upgrading face tiles…” message.
Everything was fine with the Nik filters (I really like them and would highly recommend) until a few days ago when I was in the middle of trying to fix this issue with you.
I noticed that if I tried to edit a old (3yrs) jpeg photo with a Nik filter, the changes I made were not made to the new version saved in Aperture. I just ended up with two versions of the photo that looked the same. If I tried a second time the changes were saved. Very strange. It only appeared to be occurring with these older jpeg files. My recent files are all raw (NEF) and the Nik filter worked just fine there. The Nik filters worked fine on newer jpeg files (I shoot raw + jpeg). Not thinking this was related to the fact that I couldn’t rebuild/repair my library, I called Nik Software. They had not seen this type of error. They had me try some other non-Nik plugins. When I tried Photoshop CS5 I got a Photoshop error message “could not save xxx.psd because the file is locked or you do not have the necessary access privileges”. Simarily when I tried to use the Noise Ninja filter I got a message “you don’t have permission to save the file xxx.psd in the folder yyy” So it appeared the Nik Software problem I was having was probably related to the need to rebuild/repair my library.
Unfortunately they didn’t have any ideas about how to get around the fact that I couldn’t hold the command-option keys to access the necessary first aid screen.

But we did came up with another idea. I exported a folder of my photos to a new library. I was able to repair permissions, rebuild and repair on this new library. After I did this I didn’t have any of the issues I was having with my Nik filters (or Photoshop or NN).
Now I am in the process of exporting a big chunk of my photos to a new library - fingers crossed.

If that works I will export the rest to another library and merge the two new libraries.

I haven’t really used the new library management features of Aperture 3. I only had one big library in the past. Hope there aren’t any gotchas awaiting me.

I know I will have to create new vaults for this new library.
I had several mobileme galleries in my library. Not sure what will happen with those if I delete the old library when it looks like my new library is all ok.
I had my photos organized in projects inside a few folders. I created the new library by selecting a folder and exporting. But I have many smart albums that weren’t contained in these folders that I exported. Is there a way to copy the smart albums to the new library or do just need to recreate?

Sorry for all the detail but I thought it might be helpful for others that might run into any of these seemly unrelated issues.

Thanks again for your continued help and suggestions.
Jim

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
October 8, 2010 - 2:01am

Jim,

Sounds like things are progressing well. And frankly I’m ashamed that I didn’t consider telling you to drag a project out of Aperture into a new Library, then test the rebuild on that. I’ve actually had to do that before, but for an entirely different reason. Damn, I should have thought of that here!

That said, I’ve had the exact problem you described before with images edited by a plug-in, but hadn’t gotten as far as you did on finding that it was a permissions issue. It was a long time ago (Aperture 2) and I don’t really recall how I fixed it at the time, but it may have been a rebuild. But good to know this can be a permission issue.

MobileMe galleries should just re-populate.

Your Smart Albums should transfer fine as well. If they’re at the top level of the Library, just stick ‘em in a folder and drag that to the Desktop. If they’re attached to a project and you drag that out, it should bring the Smart Album’s with them. You may need to redirect what they are pointing too though if you move them around before transferring. Just open the Smart Album and note at the top what it says it’s filtering.

Fingers crossed!!!

@PhotoJoseph

Jim Stackhouse's picture
by Jim Stackhouse
October 11, 2010 - 1:44am

Joseph,
Looks like I am back in business. I had some trouble merging the multiple libraries I had created from the exports of various folders. It appeared I was getting multiple copies of some photos so I just started over. I created a folder at the highest level and put everything in that and exported that folder to a new library. Seems to be working fine.

I haven’t figured out how to get the MobileMe galleries that were in the bottom of my library list to show up. The galleries that I had published are still in MobileMe. So it is not really a problem. But I don’t know how I could make changes within Aperture and republish.??? Not sure what you meant by “MobielMe galleries should just re-populate”.

Thanks for all your assistance with this issue.
Jim

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
October 12, 2010 - 7:18pm

Jim,

Great stuff. For MobileMe, go to the Aperture Preferences and under the Web tab, check the MobileMe “check for new…” settings. I’m guessing it’s at Manually now. Click Check Now, and set an interval if you like. If things work as they used to (and I don’t use MobileMe anymore so I’m not 100% sure), the old Aperture-generated MobileMe galleries should re-populate in the Aperture library.

@PhotoJoseph

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness