You are here

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
USB power issues with 40D & A3 #1
HwyChef's picture
by HwyChef
November 12, 2011 - 2:59am

Forgive me if this has been addressed; I could not find a thread. Recently I have been receiving error messages from Aperture 3 when connecting my 40D.

“Because a USB device was drawing too much power from your computer, one or more of your USB devices have been disabled.”

I have used this configuration for several years now, and don't quite understand what has changed. I realize a dedicated reader is faster, but there are some people in my household that need a “simple” method. USB has been that method of choice.

I am running a MBP late 2008, 2.6, 4GB Ram, 500GB HDD (50% used), Lion 10.7.2, Aperture 3.2.1 and have not had issues like this since the latest update (camera raw update from a few days ago?)

The USB cable is fine, but I used three others just to make sure.

I am thinking my USB port on the 40D might be the culprit?

Anyone have this experience as well?

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
November 12, 2011 - 5:42pm

Daniel,

Are you using a hub or direct-connecting to the Mac?

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Thomas Emmerich's picture
by Thomas Emmerich
November 13, 2011 - 5:48am

Daniel,

Apple has an extensive support article on USB port power here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4049

It talks about devices that request more than the normal 500mA and how the computer handles it.

You can view how much current each connected device is using in the System Information dialog. In MacOS X 10.7.2 you get to this easily by holding the option key down while selecting the Apple menu. The “About this Mac” item changes to “System Information” when you hold down the option key. Once in the System Information panel, select USB from the Hardware section and then select each device in the USB Device Tree to see how much current it requires in the pane below the Tree.

As an example, my iPad can draw 1000mA from a USB port. But when I have my USB card reader plugged in, it draws 500mA and there is only 500mA left for the iPad. If I disconnect the card reader, then the iPad can charge with 1000mA.

Thomas

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness