You are here

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Use of preset shortcut (OnOne) ignores crop on virtual copy #1
Arjen Mulder's picture
by Arjen Mulder
November 6, 2012 - 1:31am

Hi everybody,

This is my first post on this forum but I have been reading ApertureExpert for a while now and it provides great information and has helped me a lot already.

I use Aperture a lot for batch editing, really talking 2000+ photos per week. I often have a set of photos processed and ready and then select all, make a virtual copy and then do a preset using a shortcut, so all photos in once get an alternative develop.

Now, I just found a great preset from OnOne called Dulcet Tones that fits my swimming pool photos perfect but I have a small issue with it that I don't understand.
Workflow is as described above, so a set of photos is ready and then a virtual copy is made and I want to give them all the Dulcet Tones preset, so I do it with a keyboard shortcut. Everything ok except that it ignores at that moment the crop I did. The photo jumps back to original aspect ratio. If I select one photo and select the preset from the menu with my mouse this doesn't happen.

Does anybody know of a way to make this work using the keyboard? I could save serious time if it would work. I have actually seen this problem before many months ago, also on a certain preset but I don't remember which one it was, it might have been also from OnOne Software…..

Any help greatly appreciated.

Arjen

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
November 7, 2012 - 2:45am

Arjen,

Welcome to the site.

Some questions for you…

1. Is the crop the ONLY Aperture adjustment you’ve applied, and that’s being ignored, or are there other adjustments as well (i.e. Curves or Color) that are applied and not being ignored/dropped?

2. To be sure, when you say you make a “virtual copy”, what you mean is a Version, correct?

3. This “Dulcet Tones” preset… is this an Aperture Effects preset, or is this a plug-in?

I’m assuming Aperture Effect, so just something to think of while getting to the bottom of this… any adjustment that is included in the Effect will replace, not add on to, any Adjustment that’s already applied. So if the Effect preset has a crop in it, that will replace the existing crop. Another thing to consider (although I’m not sure how it’d relate to your issue) is that no matter how many images are selected, if you choose an effect from the Effects menu in the Adjustments tab, the Effect will only be applied to the Primary Selection. If you want it applied to all selected images, you have to choose it from the menu Photos > Add Effect > ….

Let’s see where that gets us…

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Arjen Mulder's picture
by Arjen Mulder
November 7, 2012 - 5:04pm

Hi Joseph,

Thanks for your reply.

1 - On import I always choose a preset which consists of many different adjustments (enhance, curves, vignetting etc, though no crop). It seems only the crop gets kicked out.

2 - yes sorry for the wrong name, I mean a version by virtual copy.

3 - Here’s the link to the preset pack: http://www.ononesoftware.com/marketplace/presets/jacob-lucas-starter-pre…. So it’s not a plug-in but really a preset. I’d like to have the quality of those plug-ins but in the form of a preset, it would speed up the workflow a lot, but that’s another issue.

About the effect being applied only to the primary selection I was aware of, that’s why I always use the shortcuts. I didn’t know selecting the effect from the menu would apply to the complete selection though.

Thanks to your last tip I tried to apply the Dulcet Tones preset to a selection of photos using the menu to add the effect… and guess what, it works without losing the crop. That’s interesting. It loses the crop when the effect is applied using a shortcut…..

Regards

Arjen

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?